When Is It Safe To Remove A Secondary Filter.

1. N

Nattw Valued Member Member

Hi guys, I currently have a cycled 70L aquarium with a fluval u2 filter and an eheim ecco pro 200 filter running together. I added the eheim filter roughly a month ago and i'm just wondering when it would be safe to remove the fluval u2 as I have an aquarium being delivered tomorrow that currently requires a filter. Any ideas?

Thank you, Natt :D

2. grantm91

grantm91 Fishlore VIP Member

Shoud be fine by now, if your water is stable then just go for it and check for ammonia and nitrite every two days, thats what i did when i used media from the filter on my 200 litre tank to seed the brand new filter on my 450 litre tank and it was ok. Just keep an eye on things but your plan is pretty solid providing both filters have adequate out put for the tanks and you don't stock the new set up to fast or what ever your doing. Just apply common sense, good luck with it.

3. OP
    OP
    N

Nattw Valued Member Member

The U2 is rated for over 110L I believe and the eheim is rated 200L, give or take that is im sure the quotes are not totally accurate. I assume the fluval u2 should be okay for a 64L tank with 2 platy's and a few babies once theyre big enough not to be eaten by the adults, I currently have them in a smaller quarantine tank/small grow out tank but the smaller tank filter isnt rated for the 64L so i thought the upgrade could be useful. Thanks for your help :)