When Is He To Big?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Forums' started by FishieAB, Jul 12, 2015.

1. FishieABValued MemberMember

When I first set up my 29 gallon tank back in May my BF brought home an Algae Eater. I later learned it was a Chinese Algae Eater and that he will grow to 11". Obviously WAY TO BIG to live in my tank for long. It was my BF's only pick for the tank so my plan was to keep it as long as I could then replace it with Cory's or some other smaller bottom feeder. I'm getting to the point where I am not sure when to remove him. My best guess is he is 2.5-3" long now, getting a lot thicker to. He was probably an inch when we got him. I've attached a picture.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2018
  2. Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

I would try to rehome him as soon as possible. They get aggressive and territorial when they get older. They also eat the slime coat off other fish, leaving the other fish more prone to bacterial infections.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. BornThisWayBettasFishlore VIPMember

Yes, agree with the above. I would rehome him ASAP.

4. FishieABValued MemberMember

Thanks guys!! I kind of figured as much. I'll start looking for a home right now. Post of facebook and kijiji.

While I have this thread open what can I get to take his place? My plans for the tank are to start researching live plants and to change from fake to live in the next 2-4 months. My stock will be 1-2 Angels, 2-3 Swordtails and 2-3 Double Full Red Cockatoo Chichlids. Should I even both adding a bottom feeder?

5. Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Angelfish get too big for a 29 gallon so they wouldn't work. Although a dwarf cichlid would work.

6. FishieABValued MemberMember

I've been told by quite a few people that 1 would be fine. Thanks though.

7. kidster9700Well Known MemberMember

I've also been told one angelfish is fine for a 29 by people from this forum and fish stores.

8. FishieABValued MemberMember

Yes exactly. I've had trouble finding the Cockatoo Chichlids so I don't NEED them, I'd be happy with keeping just the Swordtails and Angels but I do want a bottom feeding fish. Just no idea what would be good to get. I always read Cory's need to be in groups of 6 and I feel like that's to much.

9. kidster9700Well Known MemberMember

I used to keep cories in a group of three and no one ever said anything about it. I have a group of six now but I feel like 4 isn't too bad. Or what about Pygmy cories? They don't really clean up so much as eat leftover food.
    Ottos are great for algae and relatively small. 3-4 ottos is good I believe.

10. Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

You may have heard this from other forum members but we have a guy on here who breeds angelfish in 30 tanks or so that would tell you otherwise. Tolak

11. BornThisWayBettasFishlore VIPMember

I think safzola also has some breeding experience with angels.

12. FishieABValued MemberMember

Yes I've read quite a few threads on here with LOTS of people saying that 1 is fine in a 29, I've even read LOTS of people saying more than 1 is fine if that's all that's in there. I'm not trying to be argumentative or rude but I'm gonna go with the higher vote of 1 being fine. I am thinking of dumping the Chichlids idea though, just having the Swordtails and a bottom feeder, a smaller Pleco if there are any that don't get big.

13. BornThisWayBettasFishlore VIPMember

Both bristlenose and clown plecos don't get big. But plecos in general have a high bioload, keep that in mind when stocking the tank. :)

14. MtnTigerWell Known MemberMember

IME BN plecos do not have any higher bio-load than other fish their size and even if they did the job they do on algae is simply amazing.

Others may have different experiences.

15. PlecomakerWell Known MemberMember

Youre both right. Plecos can, butdonot have to have a higher bioload.
    as veggie lovers they can either be fed meals or graze.
    If they graze they are constanly eating and digesting, so messy. If the alage is lower and they are eating ina more regulated way, then they are cleaner.

personally ive seen messier gourami, even dwarf.

16. Thunder_o_bFishlore VIPMember

Angels can get too big for a 29 when full grown. But it depends on the angel. I have had angels that got way too big for anything under a 55 and others that stayed small and would fit fine in a 29. The thing is that you never really know how big an angel will get. If you end up with an angel that is over 10" top fin to bottom fin in a 29 gal there will be an issue. Just be ready to move it to a larger tank down the road if you do this.

17. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Wow..... follow what Thunder said. I personally don't think a 29 is big enough for angels though.

18. TolakWell Known MemberMember

Thunder pretty much hit it. You'll have to set up & stock that 29 around the angel. That means minimal substrate to increase water depth, nothing too messy, busy, nippy, or nippable/edible. Angels are cichlids, with cichlids you've always got to have a backup plan. Save up for a 55 if you're serious about angels, the buck a gallon sale is your friend.

The problem without that backup plan all too often becomes one of stocking. Too many times I've seen the next step once the angel is settled in. It usually involved a shoal of corys, a school of tetras, some livebearers & a plec. You've now got a stressed angel, next step is a medical problem.

19. PlecomakerWell Known MemberMember

Lots of peoplekeep them in 29s, not saying they should. Angels , however, come indiffernt sized types. Altum, scalare....
    either way theyd look beter in a 55. Even number groups or solo, my oppinion.

20. FishieABValued MemberMember

The plan for any fish I will ever get for any tank would be if they outgrow to rehome. As it is I already have 2 different homes lined up for the CAE.

Where do these buck a gallon sales happen and when?! Will definitely get a 55 if I could find this sale.