When Is Fenbendazole Safe For Snails?

Rtessy
I removed my snails and they're in a much smaller container, and I really need to get them back in because my nerite and rabbit snails both managed to escape and die. The tank I removed them from was dosed with fenbendazole a few weeks ago, but it's a shrimp tank so I haven't been doing large water changes, just smaller daily ones. Does it dissapate after a while? I can't use carbon as I have a sponge filter. After the number of water changes I've done, 32.6% of the original water dosed remains. How low does this need to be if it doesn't go away on its own?

buttertart
Ok I don't know the answer to your question but I have fenbendazole for camallanus worms but I don't know how to use it. I assume you had planaria but do you know if the treatment would be the same? And what was your gram to gallon ratio? And how many mL of water did you use? And how often did you dose?

Rtessy
I actually used it for Hydra, are you sure it works for callamanus worms? Isn't that normally treated with levamisole? Of course, I've never had to treat for it, so I haven't looked too much into it.... Mine was half pellets/half poweder, and I just literally put in like six tiny pieces and the hydra died after 72ish hours, in a 10 gallon. I didn't really measure, but I would guess .1 ml or so. Sorry, I know this probably isn't helpfil

buttertart
Np. I know they're really hard to get rid of and everyone says something different. Unfortunately I can't get levamisole in Canada. I did a little research and what of gathered is kind of saying low dosages of fenbendazole won't kill snails so you should be good with a water change and a new carbon pad. (some say it takes it out some say otherwise)

best of luck

Rtessy
Thanks! And I know it is supposed to kill everything worm like, so I do hope it really works for you.

Bithimala
I don't have experience with treating meds or how long they stay in the tank, but if you just need AC, you could always temporarily add another filter with that in it if you have one spare? Just put a prefilter sponge or something over the intake to keep any babies from getting in.

BillynJennifer
I actually used it for Hydra, are you sure it works for callamanus worms? Isn't that normally treated with levamisole? Of course, I've never had to treat for it, so I haven't looked too much into it.... Mine was half pellets/half poweder, and I just literally put in like six tiny pieces and the hydra died after 72ish hours, in a 10 gallon. I didn't really measure, but I would guess .1 ml or so. Sorry, I know this probably isn't helpfil

I dosed my 10 gallon with a few small pieces of Fenben that I let soak overnight in water. Killed every one of the Hydra that were in my tank. Now, to keep from getting Hydra again, I soak any new plants in the same Fenben solution.

Rtessy
Ok I don't know the answer to your question but I have fenbendazole for camallanus worms but I don't know how to use it. I assume you had planaria but do you know if the treatment would be the same? And what was your gram to gallon ratio? And how many mL of water did you use? And how often did you dose?
I tried to do a little research for you, and from what I found, someone used 1/3 of a packet of fenben per blood worm cube, once a week, for three weeks. I don't know if this would help, but I just ended up stumbling upon it
I dosed my 10 gallon with a few small pieces of Fenben that I let soak overnight in water. Killed every one of the Hydra that were in my tank. Now, to keep from getting Hydra again, I soak any new plants in the same Fenben solution.
Any chance you kept snails with them? Or added some in after? If so, when was it safe for them?

BillynJennifer
I tried to do a little research for you, and from what I found, someone used 1/3 of a packet of fenben per blood worm cube, once a week, for three weeks. I don't know if this would help, but I just ended up stumbling upon it

Any chance you kept snails with them? Or added some in after? If so, when was it safe for them?

I left my Mystery Snails in the tank while I treated it and they made it fine. I think Nerites are more sensitive to Fenben. If you have Nerites, you might do a couple of larger than usual water changes before adding them back in.

Rtessy
I left my Mystery Snails in the tank while I treated it and they made it fine. I think Nerites are more sensitive to Fenben. If you have Nerites, you might do a couple of larger than usual water changes before adding them back in.
I have rabbits and nerites, but since it's a shrimp tank I can't really do large water changes, and it's a sponge filter so I can't really add carbon....
I did like the idea of adding a filter, but there's just no more room on the sides of the tank

BillynJennifer
I have rabbits and nerites, but since it's a shrimp tank I can't really do large water changes, and it's a sponge filter so I can't really add carbon....
I did like the idea of adding a filter, but there's just no more room on the sides of the tank

Would you be comfortable with doing small daily water changed over several days? That would work well at diluting the Fenben until it would nearly be gone. Small daily water changes shouldn't cause much of an upset with your shrimp.

Rtessy
Would you be comfortable with doing small daily water changed over several days? That would work well at diluting the Fenben until it would nearly be gone. Small daily water changes shouldn't cause much of an upset with your shrimp.
I've been doing that, and I'm down to about 32%, but I just don't know what level it would be safe at... Also, at this point, it would take 20 more days of daily water changes to drop it to ~7%, and that's just a long time.

BillynJennifer
I've been doing that, and I'm down to about 32%, but I just don't know what level it would be safe at... Also, at this point, it would take 20 more days of daily water changes to drop it to ~7%, and that's just a long time.

This might sound heartless, but you might add one of your snails that you don't mind losing, into the tank, to see how it goes.

Rtessy
This might sound heartless, but you might add one of your snails that you don't mind losing, into the tank, to see how it goes.
Yeah, that was the next plan... Sucks because I lost half my rabbits and nerites (one of each lol) in QT so now I have one rabbit, one nerite... I also have some pond snails and ramshorn, but the ramshorn keep dying from unknown reason and have like 1/200 survive to adulthood, so they would be bad testers because they would just die. I'm thinking about testing with some pond snails, but those guys can survive anything so I don't know if they would be the best test. Which would be better do you think, a pond or ramshorn tester?

BillynJennifer
Yeah, that was the next plan... Sucks because I lost half my rabbits and nerites (one of each lol) in QT so now I have one rabbit, one nerite... I also have some pond snails and ramshorn, but the ramshorn keep dying from unknown reason and have like 1/200 survive to adulthood, so they would be bad testers because they would just die. I'm thinking about testing with some pond snails, but those guys can survive anything so I don't know if they would be the best test. Which would be better do you think, a pond or ramshorn tester?

Wish I had an answer for that one. Like you said, pond snails can live through a nuclear winter so they may not be a great choice, but if that's your only choice, you could probably use them and see what happens.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Rtessy
Replies
Views
Megaanemp
Replies
Views
richiep
Replies
Views