When is enough?

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by fengshui, Jul 13, 2015.

1. fengshui

fengshuiValued MemberMember

I currently have a 29 gallon stocked with 6 lovely juvenile high quality blood parrots and equipped with two Hydor Koralia 425s, an Aquaclear 110, an Eheim 250 and a Marineland Penguin Biowheel 250! Both the Aquaclear and Eheim use Seachem Matrix while the Eheim also uses Purigen! Should I add more filtration? Thanks.

2. LiterallyHydro

LiterallyHydroWell Known MemberMember

For your average tank with HOB filters, I would just shoot for around 10x turnover. I think you're fine, as long as you're getting no ammonia or nitrites.

3. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandonWell Known MemberMember

I would think about maybe upgrading to a bigger tank for those parrots soon :)

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. OP
    OP
    fengshui

I've been dying to get the approval of my parents to upgrade the tank but they won't budge so I need to think of something soon later on!

5. Geoff

GeoffWell Known MemberMember

You could always try to rehome them and stock your 29g tank with appropriate fish.

6. LiterallyHydro

LiterallyHydroWell Known MemberMember

With Geoff on that. You never know what the future holds, you may never have the appropriate home for them.

7. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandonWell Known MemberMember

I believe Parrot fish get around 10 inches. That's big, so they will need a large tank if you wish to keep them.

8. BDpups

BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

You have a pic of this? How did you fit the HOB's on the tank? Is one on the front or the side? And with those koralias I can't imagine how much movement is going on in the tank.

Where could you even put another filter?

9. OP
    OP
    fengshui

The two HOBs fit right next to each other on the back. The Eheim is under the tank. Koralias are in the tank.

10. BDpups

An aquaclear 110 and a penguin 200 or is it a 350? There isn't a penguin 250.

11. OP
    OP
    fengshui

200 my bad sorry

12. Geoff

GeoffWell Known MemberMember

Imo no matter how many filters you put on there, it's not going to make a 29g tank any bigger for 6 soon-to-be 10" fish.

13. peacelizardValued MemberMember

Yes. As others have said, honestly, the amount of filtration you have is irrelevant because they are going to grow way too big for a 29g. Heck, even one wouldnt be appropriate.

14. BDpups

There isn't any need to add more filters. You have more than enough. Now you need a tank that is big enough for the fish.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice