When in Rome do as the Romans do

1. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

I was going to post this in "other" but it has to do with fish.....
    this is awesome go Rome
    I couldn't get the link to work so here is the article.....

2. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

Emma, thank you for this wonderful article. I am so glad that there are even some good politicians in this world! It indeed shows an advanced civilization. Because ... we, as human beings, and who have highly-developed brains, should know it's cruel to hurt animals. And by giving the animals the rights they deserve, we show that we understand that it is not OK to hurt those weaker than us. We also show that we are compassionate. It is very mean to abandon an animal that has given you so much love and companionship. If you take and animal - you keep it. It's a responsibility as well, and animals are not "things" or "objects" that we can dispose of at our convenience. Therefore, I love Rome for what they did !!! If you know you won't be able to take care of an animal, then why are you taking it at all? See my point?

I also agree that keeping fish as large as goldfish in a mere fish-bowl is very cruel. To me, even providing smaller fishes with spaces that are too small for them, and where they only suffer, is very cruel too. So overcrowding ... you know. Another example, keeping massive fish like oscars in very confined spaces - that is cruel too, although many people do not realize it is, and if they knew, they'd never put an oscar in a confined space. Real cruelty is rather when a person knows a fish will suffer and nevertheless the person consciously goes ahead disregarding this information.

Anyway, I better stop now, because I could go on like this forever when it comes to animal cruelty, experimentation, or testing ... (remember fish dyeing?) So thanks for the article Emma. It made me happy :)

3. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

4. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

no my mom emailed it to me from "reuters alertnet"
    its the same thing though

5. death2fishbowls Initiate Member

HAHAHA look at my name ;D Fishbowls are creul, so small

6. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Great article Emma!! thank You!!
    Carol

7. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

I googled it to see if i could get thelink to work and it was on some "Wierd things" -orsomething like that- forum and everyonewas laughing at how idiotic it was to ban goldfish bowls ::)
    ug my spacebar is still actingup :-X

8. Craig Well Known Member Member

that was a gr8 read!! thnx :eek: :D

C W

9. chickadee Fishlore VIP Member

I sure hope goldfish bowls don't make them go blind! I have Noel in a vase but it is big enough for him to have everything the big boys have (heat, filtration, aeration, etc.), but I am definitely against the little quart to gallon sized "Betta Bowls" that you are supposed to use as a "nightlight" or some such thing. The most sick thing I ever saw was the one that had a plant growing out of a Betta container and no room around it to change water and/or feed the Betta. The directions say never to feed the fish or to change the water because the plant can use the fish waste for food and the fish can eat the plant. Didn't anyone ever take into consideration that Bettas are carnivores. They wouldn't eat that plant, their mouths aren't even formed to accept food in that manner.

Enough of my rantings, I willl close now.

Rose
    :D

10. rob2uk Member Member

Bowls are ok, oxygen-wise, if you have filtration and aeration set up.

The reason you have problems otherwise is because there isn't enought surface area on the water for gas exchange to happen with the surrounding air, so you get a lack of oxygen and a build up of CO and CO2

11. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

IF you have filtration and aeration set up, but I'd say 999 outof 1000 people don't.
    And they are simply too small to house the fish! That's like keeping a dog in one of those little kennels (Pet Taxi or something like that) all the time.

12. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

13. chickadee Fishlore VIP Member

Well I've done it now. I've probably gone and started an international incident LOL. I joined their funny forum just so I could have my say and say I did. Probably not as strong as I wanted to but I read all that trash and I was seeing red and all so I gave 'em a piece (probably all that's left) of my mind. I do feel some better although I doubt it does any good. Ignorant people cannot learn lessons (if they choose not to) and I don't think that lot is in the learning mood.

Rose
    :(

14. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

oho thats what i was thinking of doing
    way 2 go chickadee :D :D

15. chickadee Fishlore VIP Member

Please be aware that on retrospect I am not really proud of losing my temper on the international stage. I feel that stating my opinion was okay but I should have done a better job of holding myself in check. Both parties losing it just makes neither one better than the other. The issue was the important thing NOT my feelings. Next time I shall breathe and count to ten BEFORE I state my opinion. But I will still state it.

Rose
    :-[

16. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

Rose, way to go! I love your post - exactly what I would have said too. I'm glad you said what you've said. Some people there seem not to have the slightest idea what they're talking about.

17. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

yeah--30 second memory??!!

18. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

I know Emma, right!? "30 second memory" - this statement actually makes me laugh, haha ;D I wonder what is the state of "memory" of the person who said something like this! It even makes no logical sense to say something like this. If my angels, for example, have "30 second memory" then how come they know exactly who I am, how come they eat out of my hand without any fear, how come they are "wagging their tails" when food is coming, etc ... ?

If any fish had a "30 second memory" it wouldn't be able to survive on its own at all.

19. gammerus Well Known Member Member

I never walk my dog...it would be hazerdous, what with all the strays and what not on my streat

20. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

the entire fishlore gang should join the forum and give them a large piece of our minds--they'd be picking their jaws up off the floor :D :D :D