When Does My Baby Fry Start Big Flakes And When Can He Move Into The Tank With The Big Fish ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Shanice.Naomi, Jul 31, 2017.

1. Shanice.Naomi

Shanice.Naomi New Member Member

I have a few questions :)

I have around about a 6 week old guppy called gumball (my sons named him/her) and I'm still feeding him baby flakes (tetra mini baby) does anyone know when I should change it to big flakes?
    And when should I move him in with the big fish?
    Also he's started to get brown on his tail does anyone know when he will start showing colour and start showing his bits so I know if he's a boy or a girl :)
    Gumball is also just a little over 1cm and about 4mm wide

2. D

David Lawson New Member Member

I have been breeding guppies for a while now. What I do is I crush normal tropical flakes very finely into almost a powder and give them that. They then take the tiny pieces of flakes and swallow them and then spit them out and repeat this until they can swallow. Things like micro pellets and that are a lot harder and don't break down as easy. From the sounds of it you should be feeding your guppy fry normal tropical flakes that are broken up very finely.
    Anyone disagree?

3. OP
    OP
    Shanice.Naomi

Shanice.Naomi New Member Member

Hi I was doing that with gumball but the fish shop told me to do the baby food I'll start up doing that again :)

4. NavigatorBlack

NavigatorBlack Fishlore VIP Member

Both foods are good. I never give pellets to any fish, and always use flakes.

5. C

ChiefBrody Valued Member Member

also having plants in the tank creates food for them while young. Most fry-feeding advice that is given seems to be for non-planted tanks which i really don't believe in except for marine and maybe larger african cichlid tanks. I never have to hatch bbs or anything like that and all my fry are fine. Crushed up flakes is definitley all you need but like I said if there's plants growing in there they can kinda fend for themselves for a while. I keep a big floating mass of water sprite/guppy grass/hornwort/moss/whatever for my guppy fry to hide in and they seem to dig that

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice