when does alage growth start?

vin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
The first type of algae you will probably see looks like rust or brown slime. It's called 'diatoms'. They are actually microscopic organisms with silica skeletons that are only temporary. Shortly thereafter you will begin to see the more typical types of algae begin to form. A pleco or some otos will eat that stuff up!

Paul1978

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys....its funny...just after I typed my question I looked over to the tank and noticed these brown rusty spots which are probably the diatoms....ha ha ha. Thanks again.......

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
vin said:
The first type of algae you will probably see looks like rust or brown slime.  A pleco or some otos will eat that stuff up!

otos will say "yummy, yummy!!!"

Rose

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yes, I've read this is the best time to add Otos. Of course you should only get Otos if you want them, but if you are planning too they will love the diatoms.

Paul1978

Reaction score
too funny...thanks for the help....I was planning on adding Ottos....but my tank hasn't fully gone through its cycle yet...bad idea to add now?

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Oh yes don't get Otos until the tank is cycled. The diatoms will probably be gone by then, so I would wait and add them last when regular algae is starting to grow.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom