when does alage growth start?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Paul1978, Apr 3, 2006.

1. Paul1978New MemberMember

Hi Everyone,

I have a 29 gal f/w set up for almost six weeks now. Have two live plants and six zebra danios in it. Have 15w flourescent bulb going 12 hours a day. When will algae start to grow? Thanks

2. 0morrokh

0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

You should start seeing it anytime now.

3. vin

vinWell Known MemberMember

The first type of algae you will probably see looks like rust or brown slime. It's called 'diatoms'. They are actually microscopic organisms with silica skeletons that are only temporary. Shortly thereafter you will begin to see the more typical types of algae begin to form. A pleco or some otos will eat that stuff up!

4. OP
    OP
    P

Paul1978New MemberMember

Thanks for the replies guys....its funny...just after I typed my question I looked over to the tank and noticed these brown rusty spots which are probably the diatoms....ha ha ha. Thanks again.......

5. chickadee

chickadeeFishlore VIPMember

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

otos will say "yummy, yummy!!!"

Rose
    :)

6. vin

vinWell Known MemberMember

I had some in my tank. I put my oto in and it was gone within 2 days!! :D

7. 0morrokh

Yes, I've read this is the best time to add Otos. Of course you should only get Otos if you want them, but if you are planning too they will love the diatoms. ;)

8. OP
    OP
    P

Paul1978New MemberMember

too funny...thanks for the help....I was planning on adding Ottos....but my tank hasn't fully gone through its cycle yet...bad idea to add now?

9. 0morrokh

Oh yes don't get Otos until the tank is cycled. The diatoms will probably be gone by then, so I would wait and add them last when regular algae is starting to grow.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice