When do you do water changes

BigManAquatics
I try for weekly changes, but i also know my community tanks at least can go 3-4 weeks if needed, though i rather they didnt. Betta tanks dont have a choice. Always once or twice a week on those. They seem to open up for finrot after that, at least in a 5 gal tank. Maybe it is because i am a firm believer that anything less than half the tank is almost a waste of time and effort, so 50-60% is a minimum/maximum.

Advertisement
MasterPython
When he had a shop his tanks were set to top up automatically. They lost water whenever fish or plants were removed from the tanks so he was doing small water changes every day.

Firestorm
What are your thoughts on this video that advocates for NEVER changing aquarium water? All of what's said in this video would have made sense IF... it if not for the issue of total solutes that keep accumulating if one just tops off the tank (to replace the evaporated water since solutes do stay behind when water evaporates) and if not for the issue of increasing concentration of fish hormones in the water (which is supposedly one of the reasons to for doing partial water changes). What are your thoughts?

Video in Op

Advertisement
BigManAquatics
The simple answer is, if you don't like his way, don't do things like him. End of story.

A201
I think this same topic was very recently discussed. If I'm not mistaken, the general consensus was very pro weekly water changes.
Remember, YouTuber's need to come up with new topics on a regular basis & this topic is an old worn out one.
Another point, being a senior citizen with gray hair & long beard doesn't always translate to great wisdom.

Advertisement
Cadillac15
I think this same topic was very recently discussed. If I'm not mistaken, the general consensus was very pro weekly water changes.
Remember, YouTuber's need to come up with new topics on a regular basis & this topic is an old worn out one.
Another point, being a senior citizen with gray hair & long beard doesn't always translate to great wisdom.
"But I've been doing it this way for 50 years, so I am right, because things don't change over time with more knowledge"

ChrissFishes01
There are a million ways to do almost everything in this hobby. What works for me might not work for you, and vice-versa. I don't watch Father Fish (although I've seen more of his videos pop up in my feed lately, so maybe I ought to check him out), but honestly, I don't doubt he's got a system that works for him and makes maintenance a breeze.

There's a balance to be struck between tank husbandry and just leaving things alone and letting the ecosystem do its' job. The average hobbyist probably can't healthily sustain never doing a water change, but I'd bet the average hobbyist with an average tank also doesn't need to do a weekly water change. Sure, a heavily stocked tank or a tank with no/few plants will need more maintenance - but, again, balance is key.

Don't want to do water changes very often? Keep less fish in larger volumes of water, and choose plants to act as nitrate removal. It really is as simple as that. I know that for me, with the amount of tanks that I have, and the work schedule I keep, it'd be ludicrous for me to stock my tanks so heavily that I HAD to do a weekly water change on each tank to keep parameters in line. So, I stock lightly.

BigManAquatics
Then me, i kinda like to overstock, gives me more of a reason to tinker with my tanks. Otherwise i get restless and start creating new ones. Oops.

ChrissFishes01
Then me, i kinda like to overstock, gives me more of a reason to tinker with my tanks. Otherwise i get restless and start creating new ones. Oops.
I've been there too, when I had more time on my hands. Now, the less I have to touch them, the better!

Cadillac15
I'm the same. I use aquariums because they help me deal with my PTSD. Part of that is doing the water changes. I do big water changes once or twice a week (about 70%). But I overstock with dirty fish. I probably could get away with less water changes, but it's cathartic.

BigManAquatics
I'm the same. I use aquariums because they help me deal with my PTSD. Part of that is doing the water changes. I do big water changes once or twice a week (about 70%). But I overstock with dirty fish. I probably could get away with less water changes, but it's cathartic.
Dont have to tell me twice about the PTSD aspect. Also forces me to slow down. Diagnosed as a hypermaniac along with PTSD. My world is fun.

GouramiGirl100
Yeah I completely agree, water changes and maintenance are literally why I got back into fish keeping for my mental health

cjcummings
OP, here's the link to recent post for reference.

TheCoryWhisperers
Aquaria without water changes? Never! I was diagnosed with Bipolar one 43 years ago and spent a lot of time locked in cages. Being task oriented is a major tool and aquaria are loaded with tasks. I notice a huge change in my fish after a water change. Igniting a spawn can be just one of many of those changes

Coradee
FishDin
50% WC once a week. I never vac any tank. Some have deep substrtate, some do not. I clean my canister filters every 6 months. Overstocked planted tank still needs to be fertilized with macros.

This is what has worked for me. Your mileage may vary. At one time I cleaned filters and substrate often. Over time, my approach changed based on my experiences keeping my tanks.

It's good to have a place to start when first getting into fish keeping. I would not advise a new fishkeeper to do what I do. I think it's good to give advice that will help then succeed, so for example, telling them to do a 50% water change weekly may not be needed for their particular tank, but it will keep them out of trouble until the get some experience.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
2 3
Replies
Views
1201td
Replies
Views
Alejandro
Replies
Views
CindiL