When do you buy your fish?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by freak78, Dec 16, 2012.

1. freak78

freak78 Well Known Member Member

Usually the only time I get new fish is the day I do my cleaning and water changes. That way the new fish have a week to get accustomed to their new surroundings for a week before they get stressed again with my disturbing the tank for the weekly Cleaning and water change.

2. J

JoannaB Well Known Member Member

The day when my local store gets new fish shipment, so they have a larger variety to choose from. One can always do an extra water change when getting fish, there is nothing wrong with doing a water change even though one changed water only the other day and it is not time to do so yet.

3. Matt B

Matt B Well Known Member Member

I get mine without regard really to my maintenance schedule. They're going into a qt anyways with its own schedule of maintenance which is much more freqent than my display tanks so they get used to the disturbance in a hurry.

I wouldn't do a pwc the day I got them regardless of whether they're going into display or qt, just push the maintenance off for a day to let them settle a bit.

4. A

AlanGreene Well Known Member Member

I buy my fish when I have money!

5. OP
    OP
    freak78

freak78 Well Known Member Member

Works out good for me cause the LFS I frequent gets their fish on Wednesday and Thursdays and I usually do my tank maintance on Thursdays.

6. Matt B

Matt B Well Known Member Member

I typically only get my fish through mail so I can't really plan down to the exact day but I can see how that would work out well for you. I just don't trust any stores anymore, just breeders and quality suppliers for me.

7. psalm18.2

psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

Me too. I set up the QT, let it run at least 24 hours with cycled media, and head to store. I usually shop then go buy.

8. Y

Yeoy Well Known Member Member

I never get fish that have just gotten to the shop. I would rather the sick ones die at LFS then in my tank. I also completely disregard schedules when buying. Rebel... I know...

9. B

Borisbbadd Guest

I buy most of mine in the winter, when I get bored, and can't get outside.

10. allaboutfish

allaboutfish Well Known Member Member

I buy my fish in the spring mostly bc i like to order online and i dont like to risk it in the winter and summer.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice