When Do Water Change If Parameters Ok?

BettyD

my 55 gal fully planted tank is completely cycled and has had fish now for 1 week. I want to do the right thing with water changes. But paramaters are still good - ammon 0, nitrites 0, nitrates between 10 and 20 (I cannot really distinguish difference with the API chart). My tap water is already 10.

Fish are all doing great, water is clear. Since it's been a week do I need to do a water change now, or wait a little longer?

The plants must be helping to keep the nitrates down

OnTheFly

Hello neighbor. I am from the Quad Cities. I generally don't skip water changes. I just make them smaller if the water parameters are fine. Or you can stretch the interval some. Our water is heavy with minerals so it is less important our water be replaced quite as frequently as others.

tokiodreamy

my 55 gal fully planted tank is completely cycled and has had fish now for 1 week. I want to do the right thing with water changes. But paramaters are still good - ammon 0, nitrites 0, nitrates between 10 and 20 (I cannot really distinguish difference with the API chart). My tap water is already 10.

Fish are all doing great, water is clear. Since it's been a week do I need to do a water change now, or wait a little longer?

Hello!

I always do 30-50% water changes on all of my tanks weekly. If you're between 10-20 this week, you can do a 30% pwc and be ok. You can skip a week if you need to.

Remember you're not doing water changes just for parameters! When you add new water you're also adding back the minerals in the water that your fish like.

Punkin

You have a little more forgiving room with a 55 gallon. Many members here do a water change once a week, regardless of the size of the tank. I have a 20 gallon, and I change 7-8 gallons of water once a week. I guess it also depends on how much stock and what kind you have. I tend not to have messy fish (tetras and cories) whereas goldfish, plecos, mollies, and the like have a higher bioload. You can experiment to find what works for you.

BettyD

Hello neighbor. I am from the Quad Cities. I generally don't skip water changes. I just make them smaller if the water parameters are fine. Or you can stretch the interval some. Our water is heavy with minerals so it is less important our water be replaced quite as frequently as others.
hi, I am in Cedar Rapids. and yes our water is on the harder side as well.

Fashooga

I on the other hand think that you should wait another week. I think a tank that has just turned fully cycle is still setting up and I think if your going to do a water change it be a small amount, like 10 gallons.

I think to be safe I would wait another week and do a small water change, increase it little by little as the weeks go. If you do one large water change after a week of it being completely cycle I think you risk a collapse.

IMO.

TexasDomer

A large water change should not collapse or affect your cycle.

However, since you do have such a low bioload in there at the moment, it would be fine to do a smaller water change or skip it if you really wanted.

oldsalt777

Hello Bet...

This is my favorite tank keeping subject. So, glad you asked. All I can say is put yourself in your fishes' place. If you lived in the same water you did all your "business" in, how much water would you want changed and how often?

I'm a water change fanatic. I remove and replace at least half the water weekly, in the tanks that require it. Many times, I'll change out 75 percent. I change out so much water, I don't ever test it. Don't need to, there's never time for fish waste to build up before I remove it by changing out the water. I have very minimal filtration. I don't need it. The water is always clean and well aerated.

This hobby is completely about the water. Keep it extremely clean and you'll have no tank problems.

Old

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
airdog44
Replies
Views
SamAPFish
Replies
Views
pagoda
Replies