When Do I Vacuum For First Time? How Do I

1. Hailee92

Hailee92 New Member Member

I have a 20 gallon tank, been cycling for 8 weeks, started with ghost shrimp, then 2 weeks ago guppy feeder fry who are growing and healthy, last week 2 female Bettas completes my fishy family.
    I have been doing water changes with prime and feeding very little, when should I use the gravel vacuum? IMG_1072.JPG IMG_1110.JPG

2. Goldiemom

Goldiemom Well Known Member Member

I clean my tank once a week and use the vac then. Do about 25% water change too.

3. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to FishLore!

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but...there's a really good chance that one of your female betta's will kill the other. They really should be one to a tank.

4. snowballPLECO

snowballPLECO Valued Member Member

That gravel color lol giving my eyes a strain

5. FishGirl38

FishGirl38 Valued Member Member

I use the gravel vac everytime I do a w/c because it cleans the left over food and gunk from the bottom. Once a week for w/c is a good schedule too. What kind of gravel vaccum do you have? There are a few methods to starting the suction (if it's not a mechanical/battery operated one) that do not involve putting your mouth to the hose. I'll elaborate if necessary.

6. BReefer97

BReefer97 Well Known Member Member

Well the tank is large enough for a sorority tank, but they would need to add another 4 female bettas ASAP. I think the minimum for a sorority is 6 females.

7. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

But sorority tanks should really only be attempted by experienced fish keepers, since think in a sorority tank can turn ugly very quickly.

8. N

Nj fish New Member Member

I would just start doing w/c and gravel vac as soon as you can every week should be good.

9. Hunter1

Hunter1 Well Known Member Member

I gravel vacuum 1/2 my tank, every other week so the entire bottom gets vacuumed once monthly. But I have lots of plants and an UGF. I think the debris helps the plants.

I only do 1/2 each time since some beneficial bacteria lives there. Your cycle is new so I would only do 1/2 at a time, weekly or every other week for a couple of months. Once you are sure your cycle is established, you can do the entire tank weekly.

In my sand substrate tanks, I vacuum once a we ek but it only takes 1/2 a 5 gallon bucket to vacuum a 20 gallon cause the debris sits on the top.