When Do I Panic? Broken Cross Brace

angelfishguppie

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I noticed this morning that the top cross brace on my 46 gal Bowfront has become detached from the back.

I am closing on a house this Wednesday and plan to buy a used 72 gal Bowfront for the new place.

Moving the wet pets was tentatively scheduled 2 to 3 weeks from now.

Do I need to scramble the timeline and get everything out of the broken 46 ASAP?

Cheesearmada

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I think you will be fine for now. Is there any visible stress on the glass or components of the tank?

Mike1995

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
46 gallons is a good bit of water, that said i wouldn't leave the tank filled with water much longer. Eventually it definitely can break/crack etc. So if you're moving them in 2 weeks or what not, you should be okay. But don't wait much longer

angelfishguppie

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Mike1995 said:
46 gallons is a good bit of water, that said i wouldn't leave the tank filled with water much longer. Eventually it definitely can break/crack etc. So if you're moving them in 2 weeks or what not, you should be okay. But don't wait much longer
Aesthetics aside, what do you think about duct tape around the top?

I just need to buy myself a couple of weeks!

angelfishguppie

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Cheesearmada said:
I think you will be fine for now. Is there any visible stress on the glass or components of the tank?
No, no visible stress or distortions.
Probable causes UV light degradation? The weight of the pothos plant vines coming out of the tank.

I bought the tank used in 2011. Can't remember the build date, maybe 2005? Didn't bother me as I have a 20 hex from 1991 that is still holding up (I know, lot less water...)

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom