When Do I Panic? Broken Cross Brace Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Tank Equipment' started by angelfishguppie, May 27, 2018.

1. angelfishguppieValued MemberMember

I noticed this morning that the top cross brace on my 46 gal Bowfront has become detached from the back.

I am closing on a house this Wednesday and plan to buy a used 72 gal Bowfront for the new place.

Moving the wet pets was tentatively scheduled 2 to 3 weeks from now.

Do I need to scramble the timeline and get everything out of the broken 46 ASAP?

2. Cheesearmada

CheesearmadaValued MemberMember

I think you will be fine for now. Is there any visible stress on the glass or components of the tank?

3. Mike1995

Mike1995Well Known MemberMember

46 gallons is a good bit of water, that said i wouldn't leave the tank filled with water much longer. Eventually it definitely can break/crack etc. So if you're moving them in 2 weeks or what not, you should be okay. But don't wait much longer

4. smee82Fishlore VIPMember

I wouldnt worry about it if your miving and replacing it soon

5. OP
    OP
    a

angelfishguppieValued MemberMember

Aesthetics aside, what do you think about duct tape around the top?

I just need to buy myself a couple of weeks!

6. OP
    OP
    a

angelfishguppieValued MemberMember

No, no visible stress or distortions.
    Probable causes UV light degradation? The weight of the pothos plant vines coming out of the tank.

I bought the tank used in 2011. Can't remember the build date, maybe 2005? Didn't bother me as I have a 20 hex from 1991 that is still holding up (I know, lot less water...)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice