When do I know my tank is cycling ?

canuck123

Reaction score
HI everyone, I have a new 10 gal tank and was wondering when do I know that it has become cycling. After 3 days I took some water tests and I get this:

GH - 60
KH - 50
PH - 7.6
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0

I added a cap of "Cycle" at the beginning to help begin the process of bacteria.

I guess I should see some levels start changing but I hope not too drastic.

I alave a Hang over side filter, water heater and live plants with a Molly Balloon, 5 small Tetra Phantoms, a Chinese Algea eater.

Thanks

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You won't need to worry much about the KH or Gh levels unless you are doing a heavily planted tank. You need to check for nitrAte with an A, not I also. I believe it's the ammonia rises, converts into nitrites, then converts into nitrates so ammonia rises first, then nitrites then nitrates a little, water changes bring down nitrate.

I would get rid of the chinese algae eater, they get 8" or so and are rather aggressive sucking on other fish :-X

OP
C

canuck123

Reaction score
atmmachine said:
You won't need to worry much about the KH or Gh levels unless you are doing a heavily planted tank.  You need to check for nitrAte with an A, not I also.  I believe it's the ammonia rises, converts into nitrites, then converts into nitrates so ammonia rises first, then nitrites then nitrates a little, water changes bring down nitrate.

I would get rid of the chinese algae eater, they get 8" or so and are rather aggressive sucking on other fish :-X
Thanks for the info.
What do you suggest as an algae eater for a 10 gal tank ?

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It's small enough that you don't really need an algae eater and your pretty close to being stocked and it' best to be understocked, you can get a mystery snail though you can buy a mag-float which is a magnetic algae scraper to scrape the sides of the tank from the outside.

starshine

Reaction score
If you feel that you MUST have an algae eating fish, and you're going to keep your new tank to little fish, you might consider an oto or two. Wait until your tank is cycled and you have some algae growing. I have 2 otos in my planted 10 g. (I was having some algae issues but the tank is too small for a pleco, etc.) and they keep it squeaky clean.

New Threads