1. Amazon Prime Day!
    Attention Amazon Prime Members: Not to miss deals on lots of products for 36 hours starting July 15!
    Go here: Amazon Prime Day Deals
    Dismiss Notice

When Do I Go Filterless? Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Charles B, Jun 26, 2019.

1. Charles BNew MemberMember

Hi,

I’ve had a 5 gallon tank for about two years now. It’s a beautiful, and now heavily planted tank with many different plants. I still have the filter running, but I’m hoping to take it out sometime soon.

At what point am I safely able to remove it without hurting the plants or fish? Is there anything I should be careful of when going filterless? Any pointers?

At the moment I have 3 zebra danios in it, but I’m hoping to get either a Malachai Betta or a few micro rasboras for it instead.

Let me know when you get the chance.

Thanks!

Disclaimer: I’ll be removing the 3 zebra danios and putting them into my 20 gallon tank soon. They will be in a school of 6. Trust me, I realize they should be in a school and should not be in such a small tank.

2. kallililly1973Well Known MemberMember

Not sure about when to turn off your filter but if it were me i'de turn it off test the water 24 hours later if it's still safe test it again 48 hours later and continue this for at least a week to make sure the water parameters stay balanced. Also all while the filter is off i would keep the media wet in the filter as to not lose the BB in case you do get a spike and need to plug it back in. Hope this helps some.

3. SkavatarWell Known MemberMember

4. WraithenFishlore VIPMember

Depending on the filter setup, I would just slowly start removing things. Sponges first, then small amounts of bio media. If you can back it all off over the course of a few weeks, then you should be fine.