When Do Frozen Bloodworms Become Too Old? Important 

MaximumRide14

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
About a year and a half ago, I bought this bag of Omega One frozen bloodworms. I unfortunately didn’t but the cubes (that would be easier to use) so I have to wait for it to thaw before chipping pieces off of it to feed. I’m thinking about getting some fresher bloodworms even though there’s still a lot of it left. When I thaw out a portion, most of the worms aren’t vibrant red. They’re mostly brown fading into white. I was still wondering if these are still good to use? I’ve never thawed the entire bag, just the portion I feed at the time. It might also be worth mentioning. that sometimes the worms stay clumped together or have a gummy texture (I can’t find any other word to describe it, so I hope that makes sense). If these bloodworms are too old I can go out today to get a new pack.
I appreciate any advice! Thank you!
Image1565033626.141984.jpg

Donthemon

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
They are cheap enough. Toss and get the cubes.

Crispii

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Frozen foods usually have an expiration date at the back.

midna

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
ew yeah i would not feed those to my fish lol. i still have food that's over a year old but not bloodworms. i just cut off the parts that have freezer burn or look dehydrated.

MaximumRide14

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Crispii said:
Frozen foods usually have an expiration date at the back.
I checked the bag but there isn’t one.

MaximumRide14

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
midna said:
ew yeah i would not feed those to my fish lol. i still have food that's over a year old but not bloodworms. i just cut off the parts that have freezer burn or look dehydrated.
haha yeah this batch just started looking like this so I’m ready to throw it out. I’ll be getting some more soon!

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I was going to say freezer is when but I have so many fish even old frozen food ain't that old to me !

MaximumRide14

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I got a new batch of omega one cubes, the fish are enjoying it!
IMG_4683.JPG
IMG_4684.JPG

Coptapia

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If bloodworms are anything but vivid bright red, do not feed them... and once they’re thawed I wouldn’t refreeze them.

When I have the big blocks I just break some off as required... or break it up into smaller bits.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom