When Do Fish Pellets And Flakes Expire?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by HappyGuppies, Apr 13, 2017.

1. H

HappyGuppies Valued Member Member

Mine doesn't have an expiration date. I have been feeding my fish the same food for almost half a year. Should I throw them out and buy new fresh fish food?

2. MikeRad89

MikeRad89 Well Known Member Member

No. 6 months is nothing. Most fish foods are heavily processed and contain preservatives.

3. NavigatorBlack

NavigatorBlack Fishlore VIP Member

Word is that after six months, opened, there is a serious loss in vitamins. So many people do replace food.
    I consider it relative as a loss. I use food for up to a year, and see absolutely no bad effects. There are probably a thousand fish that die from obesity (a real killer in over nourished fish) for every fish that is short changed by slightly older food.
    You shouldn't use just flake or pellets anyway, if nutrition is a concern. Processed food is processed food, for us or for them. Depending on the species, there can be a lot of better foods you can work in and out of the diet for variety.

4. p

purslanegarden Well Known Member Member

If you do have to dispose of the food, I suppose it could go into a compost pile if you have one of those.

5. AvalancheDave

AvalancheDave Well Known Member Member

Expiration dates are just a guideline. Food can still be good after that date but can also go bad before that date if they were stored improperly.

I like to put food into a small jar so I'm not opening the main container everyday. Exposure to oxygen is one of the main contributors to food spoilage.

As for disposal, if you have a lawn or garden you can use it in lieu of fertilizer.

6. N

Nicholas04 New Member Member

They don't expire for a long time, but when exposed to air they will slowly lose the nutrients inside them. Just buy In smaller containers and you shouldn't have to worry

7. allllien

allllien Well Known Member Member

I've used fish food that expired years ago lol and never had any problem with it, I always seem to end up with multiple containers of fish food (buying second hand tanks, side of the road finds etc, etc). The oldest was in a container that didn't look anything like fish food containers look today (maybe from the 70's or something??), it was actually one of the best fish foods I've had and the fish were crazy about it lol. It was in a red and yellow container, I wish they still sold it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice