When do chinese algae eaters get bad?

redmare

So my cousin has a 15 gallon aquarium with a few odds-and-ends fish in there. He's new to the hobby and is learning quickly, but of course had some beginner errors in stocking choices. I believe he's got 2 female swordtails, 2 monk tetras, a platy, and this chinese algae eater which he was ill-advised by a chain store to add. I'll say right up top I don't want to talk about the other stocking choices in this tank. That's not the question I'm asking. The CAE is about 3-4 inches long and has been living well with everyone for about 6 months. My cousin now knows about the risks and is monitoring closely for changes in its behaviour, but at the moment it's doing very well. What are the first signs of trouble with these guys, and at about what age/size do they turn from cool buddies to terrors?

StarGirl

I think when well fed they won't bother the other fish. BUT they do get 11 inches long. That's not going to work in a 15g tank.

Upvote 0

redmare

I think when well fed they won't bother the other fish. BUT they do get 11 inches long. That's not going to work in a 15g tank.
Well good to know that they might be peaceful in the right setting! I’m building him a 75 gallon for his birthday in March, so with luck he can live happily in there

Upvote 0

Nobody

I don't think they will get that big in a tank. Usually 3-5" I think.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Wouldratherwatchaquarium
  • Question
Replies
Views
veggieshark
Replies
Views