When do blooms end?

Zeeth29

How long do bacteria blooms usually last? Is there someway of telling how long one will sustain itself?

DoubleDutch

From about 2 days till about 14 days normally I'd say. Depends on the amount of substances that can be eaten.
Best way is to do absolutely nothing (hands out and nonwaterchanges of filtercleaning).

As these heterotrophic bacteria have there party they go automatically.

Zeeth29

DoubleDutch said:
From about 2 days till about 14 days normally I'd say. Depends on the amount of substances that can be eaten.
Best way is to do absolutely nothing (hands out and nonwaterchanges of filtercleaning).

As these heterotrophic bacteria have there party they go automatically.
Thanks! One of my tanks is going through it right now and its so tempting to try something.

smee82

Im not sure if it will work for bacterial blooms but live daphnia will eat free floating algae in algae blooms but it might be worth trying. At worst you just giving your fish something live to eat.

DoubleDutch

smee82 said:
Im not sure if it will work for bacterial blooms but live daphnia will eat free floating algae in algae blooms but it might be worth trying. At worst you just giving your fish something live to eat.
You are right but I wouldn't try using that for bacterial bloom. Quite a different thing.
OP try to do nothing (how tempting it is hahaha).

smee82

DoubleDutch said:
You are right but I wouldn't try using that for bacterial bloom. Quite a different thing.
OP try to do nothing (how tempting it is hahaha).
I know its different but the thing that makes me want to try is you can feed them a yeast mixture if you dont have green water.

Im not sure if they eat the yeast itself but i honestly have no idea.

Zeeth29

I think I just had a revelation. The day before this started I had got a order of plants and alot of root tabs. This tank (the 40) in particular got the majority of the root tabs with the rest being split between my 20 and 29. The 29 getting most of the leftovers. Now the 20 never got cloudy but the 29 was cloudy for a few days and cleared up by itself. While the 40 is going on its second week of cloudiness and and is much worse than the 29 was. I'm thinking that the root tabs might be the cause though I'm not sure what to do. I tired about a 25% waterchange early on but if anything it made the cloudiness worse. I guess I'll still try to wait it out.

Latest threads

Top Bottom