Advertising

1. Amazon PRIME Day is today!
    Stock up on aquarium goodies!

No PRIME membership? No problem, sign up for a 30 Day Free Prime Trial to take advantage of the PRIME day sale prices!

Dismiss Notice

When did you start your fish

?

When did you start your fish keeping hobby and were able to take care of the fish by yourself no hel

1. 12 and under

37.7%
  2. teenager 13-17

35.8%
  3. college/middle ages 18-24

11.3%
  4. younge adult 25-40

9.4%
  5. adulte 41-59

5.7%
  6. retired or older 60+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. atmmachine816

atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

just curious when people started ther hobby

2. OP
    OP
    atmmachine816

i started at age 13

3. OP
    OP
    atmmachine816

when did everybody else start

4. E

EmpPleco Well Known Member Member

I've wanted to since I was 16, but I just started this year ;) 19 years old

5. n

newbie101 Well Known Member Member

I had a small 1 gallon tank with 2 goldfish :eek: when I was about 6-7 (I killed about 5 goldfish and 1 betta :'( sorry), now I'm back with a 10 gallon

6. b

beckers4oranges Valued Member Member

19 years young

7. d

dano569 Valued Member Member

i was 10 or 11 when i started i kept fish for about 2 years.then i didn't have anymore until i was 21.

8. P

Parvath New Member Member

My dad has an aquarium back home in India. We have a small lake nearby our home and its also a place where you find fisherman catching fishes for their lively hood. When I was a kid I would be running behind them to give me a couple of fishes. I dont know what kind of fishes they were.. I think they were either Rohu or Katla fish. And the aquarium we had was filled with tap water.we never treated or tested the water cause I never knew anything about that. Surprisingly they were pretty hardy

I am 27 now and I got an aquarium like a month ago.. so far so good

9. J

Jon Well Known Member Member

when i was 10 or so i started but not seriously until recently.

10. 0morrokh

0morrokh Fishlore VIP Member

I killed quite a few Goldies and a Betta ( :'() when I was young. But this summer I set up a real tank.

11. gammerus

gammerus Well Known Member Member

I got some fish when I was younger painted glass fish (I learned later of their origins) but I got my first betta when I was about 12-13

12. n

exact same with me, I had won a goldfish at the fair when I was like 6 and kept him in a big gallon jar filled with hose water and fed him lettuce then a couple days later me and my dad got him a 1 gallon tank with undergravel filtration and an air pump, and some goldfish food. Every week we would take the whole tank outside, put the goldfish into a container, rinse out the whole tank, and put Goldy back in. After a while he died, no surprise, and I got 2 more (hey 28 cents, who cares if one dies! :-\) and it kept on, dying, getting 1 or 2 more, then I got a betta to put in with the current goldfish and the betta died the next evening :'( I still have that little tank...reminds me of "way back when" :-\...it is really dirty now because my little brother drew on the tank with permanent marker, used it as a shovel in the garden, etc. But I saved the air pump and am going to use it for my new betta, who WILL have adequate housing, a heater, a filter, and everything else he could want :'(

13. 0morrokh

0morrokh Fishlore VIP Member

I think a lot of people have Goldfish-killing stories, unfortunately. :-\ I started when I was young with a goldfish in an un-filtered tiny plastic container, he didn't last too long, you all know how it goes... :'( Then a few years later I got a 10-gallon tank with a filter, but the Goldfish all died anyway since I knew nothing about water changes or cycling or anything. :'( I also tried keeping a few Chinese Algae Eaters in there...you can guess how long they lasted. Ditto the snail. :'( Oh yeah, I also was dumb enough to believe that you could keep a Betta in like a 1 quart jar, he lived like a few days. :'(Well anyway I gave up after a couple years. But then I missed having fish, so thanks to everyone on here I have a 10 gallon tropical tank and I haven't killed any fish yet, and I am planning on getting another tank. ;D I am also planning to get Bettas (female), and they will get MUCH better housing than the one I had before... :'(

14. gammerus

gammerus Well Known Member Member

the only bad luck I ever had with fish was picking the wrong ones...those painted glass fish lasted only a few months...

15. n

not surprisingly...did you read Isabellas posts on fish dyeing?

16. f

fish_r_friend Well Known Member Member

just the day after Christmas My B-DAy

17. OP
    OP
    atmmachine816

That's cool

18. k

kerryve Valued Member Member

My dad bought me a 10g tank when I was 4, I just liked looking at all the pretty fish, but obviously he did everything for me, but i learnt pretty quickly that white spots or a fungus or somethig like that was not good, I started looking after my own fish from about 7 or 8, still making a few mistakes like over loading my tank, i once put koi in with my betta, they seemed ok, but my dad shouted at me and i quickly removed them... hehe. Betta was ok, he seemed happy to have some friends!

19. J

Joe G Valued Member Member

MY FIST TANK 30 GALLON TROPICAL

20. A

Allie Fishlore VIP Member

We got into fish in the spring of 2006. So two years now...seem like we've always had tanks tho.

Advertising