When did you start your fish

?

When did you start your fish keeping hobby and were able to take care of the fish by yourself no hel

1. 12 and under

37.7%
  2. teenager 13-17

35.8%
  3. college/middle ages 18-24

11.3%
  4. younge adult 25-40

9.4%
  5. adulte 41-59

5.7%
  6. retired or older 60+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

just curious when people started ther hobby

2. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

i started at age 13

3. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

when did everybody else start

4. EmpPleco Well Known Member Member

I've wanted to since I was 16, but I just started this year ;) 19 years old

5. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

I had a small 1 gallon tank with 2 goldfish :eek: when I was about 6-7 (I killed about 5 goldfish and 1 betta :'( sorry), now I'm back with a 10 gallon

6. beckers4oranges Member Member

19 years young

7. dano569 Member Member

i was 10 or 11 when i started i kept fish for about 2 years.then i didn't have anymore until i was 21.

8. Parvath Initiate Member

My dad has an aquarium back home in India. We have a small lake nearby our home and its also a place where you find fisherman catching fishes for their lively hood. When I was a kid I would be running behind them to give me a couple of fishes. I dont know what kind of fishes they were.. I think they were either Rohu or Katla fish. And the aquarium we had was filled with tap water.we never treated or tested the water cause I never knew anything about that. Surprisingly they were pretty hardy

I am 27 now and I got an aquarium like a month ago.. so far so good

9. Jon Well Known Member Member

when i was 10 or so i started but not seriously until recently.

10. 0morrokh Fishlore VIP Member

I killed quite a few Goldies and a Betta ( :'() when I was young. But this summer I set up a real tank.

11. gammerus Well Known Member Member

I got some fish when I was younger painted glass fish (I learned later of their origins) but I got my first betta when I was about 12-13

12. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

exact same with me, I had won a goldfish at the fair when I was like 6 and kept him in a big gallon jar filled with hose water and fed him lettuce then a couple days later me and my dad got him a 1 gallon tank with undergravel filtration and an air pump, and some goldfish food. Every week we would take the whole tank outside, put the goldfish into a container, rinse out the whole tank, and put Goldy back in. After a while he died, no surprise, and I got 2 more (hey 28 cents, who cares if one dies! :-\) and it kept on, dying, getting 1 or 2 more, then I got a betta to put in with the current goldfish and the betta died the next evening :'( I still have that little tank...reminds me of "way back when" :-\...it is really dirty now because my little brother drew on the tank with permanent marker, used it as a shovel in the garden, etc. But I saved the air pump and am going to use it for my new betta, who WILL have adequate housing, a heater, a filter, and everything else he could want :'(

13. 0morrokh Fishlore VIP Member

I think a lot of people have Goldfish-killing stories, unfortunately. :-\ I started when I was young with a goldfish in an un-filtered tiny plastic container, he didn't last too long, you all know how it goes... :'( Then a few years later I got a 10-gallon tank with a filter, but the Goldfish all died anyway since I knew nothing about water changes or cycling or anything. :'( I also tried keeping a few Chinese Algae Eaters in there...you can guess how long they lasted. Ditto the snail. :'( Oh yeah, I also was dumb enough to believe that you could keep a Betta in like a 1 quart jar, he lived like a few days. :'(Well anyway I gave up after a couple years. But then I missed having fish, so thanks to everyone on here I have a 10 gallon tropical tank and I haven't killed any fish yet, and I am planning on getting another tank. ;D I am also planning to get Bettas (female), and they will get MUCH better housing than the one I had before... :'(

14. gammerus Well Known Member Member

the only bad luck I ever had with fish was picking the wrong ones...those painted glass fish lasted only a few months...

15. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

not surprisingly...did you read Isabellas posts on fish dyeing?

16. fish_r_friend Well Known Member Member

just the day after Christmas My B-DAy

17. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

That's cool

18. kerryve Member Member

My dad bought me a 10g tank when I was 4, I just liked looking at all the pretty fish, but obviously he did everything for me, but i learnt pretty quickly that white spots or a fungus or somethig like that was not good, I started looking after my own fish from about 7 or 8, still making a few mistakes like over loading my tank, i once put koi in with my betta, they seemed ok, but my dad shouted at me and i quickly removed them... hehe. Betta was ok, he seemed happy to have some friends!

19. Joe G Member Member

MY FIST TANK 30 GALLON TROPICAL

20. Allie Fishlore VIP Member

We got into fish in the spring of 2006. So two years now...seem like we've always had tanks tho.