When did you start your first aquarium?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ay1a, Apr 8, 2010.

1. A

Ay1a Valued Member Member

Hey everyone, just a thread for fun... when did you start your first aquarium?
    Mine was started when I was 14 (current age) and on March 26th 2010.
    This is my first one ever so I'm pretty new to the hobby but everything is looking great for me so far... all I need to do is get a ride to a LFS to save a Betta from it's small cup.

2. pepetj

pepetj Well Known Member Member

Hi BettaLuvhr, nice thread.

My first aquarium was a 10gal starter kit that in my memory looked like a 20gal. I don't recall the exact date but I know I was 7 years old and my first fish was a pair of native guppies (not Fancy). At age 23 I stopped fishkeeping after a major disaster (a young female cat killed most of my fish in the pond). I returned 20 years later, in April 2009 (as I joined Fishlore) setting the first (of... ehem... currently 15 cycled tanks) in May 2008. I'm 45 (so you don't have to do the math).

Pepetj
    Santo Domingo

3. OP
    OP
    A

Wow! You've been into it for quite some time. :O
    And 15 tanks, must be a case of MTS. :p But seems like some work taking care and monitoring 15 tanks.

Also aren't you the person who had the fish who was bleeding internally? If so I hope he's doing ok. :)

4. Furallicah

Furallicah Well Known Member Member

Lets see.....my first tank was back when I was three, it had one fancy tailed goldfish. It was a 5gal. Well after keeping the fish for 3 years it died on me. 12 years later here I am with 7 tanks, and I still have that 5gal tank which is now home to my betta Plato lol.

5. OP
    OP
    A

Wow, seems like a lot of everyone here on FL has a lot of tanks and has been in the hobby for quite some time.
    Glad I'm on board with everyone.

6. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

My first tank was a 5g tank with a slate bottom and chrome trim in 1968. I'm now 49 with 3 tanks, keeping fish all of my life. :)

Ken

7. Tigerfishy

Tigerfishy Well Known Member Member

I bought myself a tank for my 23rd birthday last June, and now I'm onto 5 tanks!

(OK, OK, I just bought 2 more this weekend that are still in their boxes. They're to replace 2 tanks though as they are a better shape for fitting where they have to go!!)

8. v

vinny123 New Member Member

hi from the uk my first tank was a 12inch clearseal i kept guppys and when they bred i was hooked <no pun intended> i used to heat it with a 60 watt light bulb!!! hanging in the canopy lol that was 30 years ago when i was 10 and check this when i did a water change i scrubbed the whole tank and under gravel filter filled it up with tap water and put the fish back in !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! if some one would have asked have you cycled your tank id have thought they ment have you carried it on your bike lol well ive evolved a bit since then and kept alsors of fish i now have 12 red piranha in a 100 gallon with 2 large canister filters ive had a lot of experiance with oscars ,barbs ,slver dollars,jack dempseys,and corys so feel free if you have any questions:)

9. d

dee34 Valued Member Member

i got my first tank 190lt as a present from my girlfriend about 4 years ago ,i had south american cichlids. then 1 year later i got a 450lt bow front and had cichlids in that aswell but converted to a saltwater reef tank .

10. Gouramiguy17

Gouramiguy17 Well Known Member Member

We had a 10 gallon tank in the living room when I was smaller(8-9) but it wasn't exactly mine, but I did everything for it though. Then that one broke so I was finnaly allowed to get a tank for myself, a 5 gallon and that was my first offical tank.

11. Meenu

Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Hi Rachel. :)
    I got my first one (very small) in college 15 years ago or so. I have a 30 gallon now. I only have one tank, but there are a LOT of people here who have many tanks. People have entire fish rooms, or every spot in the house is covered...(you people know who I'm talking about)

12. l

loachaholic Valued Member Member

She has seen my plans for the future... she must be eliminated to protect my interests...

13. Goldwing_Don

Goldwing_Don Well Known Member Member

1970. slate bottom tank w/chrome braces in the corners to hold it together, lots of guppys...lol and a box filter in the corner filled with Angel hair... them was the good old days...:;laughing

14. TedsTank

TedsTank Well Known Member Member

approx 1963...geez wish that was a typo....lol

15. v

vinny123 New Member Member

:;laughing

16. harpua2002

harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

I had a betta tank when I was a kid, but didn't know anything about proper husbandry.

In 2003 when I was 23, I bought a betta and a 1 gallon tank on a whim and started learning. He got upgraded to a 10 gallon, and then when a friend sold me a cheap 27 gal hex tank, I was addicted. I started collecting more and more tanks and trying more and more species. Then, in 2007, I started my first nano reef tank and the addiction got even more out of control!

Now, I keep both FW and SW reef tanks, and I have a fishroom that my husband and I are working on. We have about 30 tanks now and will be adding more in the fishroom. We're starting a business with it, selling FW fish and plants. So far we are off to a pretty good start and with the weather warming up, it's just about time to start shipping fish! :)

17. lostsoulstav

lostsoulstav New Member Member

My first tank was a 2.5 gallon with a betta and an angelfish. I think I was 11.

18. OP
    OP
    A

:;laughing lmbo, but at least you're experienced at it now.
    And to harpua2002, I saw your thread and it looks like it's going to be quite some work to do to get everything set up. It was going to be in your garage wasn't it? I think. :p

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2010
  19. harpua2002

harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Well, sort of, bettaluvhr. We hired some contractors to come in and convert the garage into an actual room. They pulled off the garage door, framed up an insulated wall with doors and windows, ran a bunch of electrical on both sides of the room and on the ceiling, ran ductwork for the heating and air, epoxied the floor, and painted the room; so there was quite a bit more involved than just setting up tanks in a garage.

One of our contractors is back today attaching lighting to our racks and running the wiring and stuff. I'll get some pics up when that's done, it's going to make a huge difference! :)

20. OP
    OP
    A

Alright cool, I'll be looking forward to seeing them. Sounds like it's going to be a lot of work. :p

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice