When did you get into breeding fish?

Nikn

Hello everyone.
I have a genuine question and would like to read your advice. I have been keeping fish for about 6 years now. And I have a 50gallon, planted community tank and just set up a non filter/heater nano (3g) tank. I have been into breeding fish for almost a year now. I wanted to start with angelfish, but the tank wasn't big enough for 6 so I decided to try with 4, but had no success in getting a pair. Two of them died along the way. I successfully spawned blue gouramis, and am currently raising the fry which are tanking forever to grow. I wanted to try my hand in breeding bristelnose plecos but had no success, as the fish were too young and didn't want to spawn. Today I got a pair of bristelnose pelcos to attempt breeding, but I fear that the female is too small (I will make another treat about this).

The fact that I couldn't get the bp to spawn and that the gourami fry are taking forever to grow is really discouraging. I want to get into breeding fish as that's a side of the hobby I want to explore but it seems it's not going too well. There are always obstacles in the way

I'm currently in my last year of high school. Graduating and getting into uni is my primary focus right now. This doesn't make me wanna stop with trying to breed fish but it seems as it may not be the right time to yet.

When did you get into breeding fish? Do you have any advice?

LowConductivity

32 years ago.

best advice I can provide would be

#1 live baby brine shrimp
#2 baby fish need room to grow (if you are breeding in a 20 gallon, have a 55(or larger) to grow the fry out in)
#3 change more water

Nikn

Wow 32 years is a long time

I feed baby brine shrimp daly, at least once or twice, other time is frozen cyclops or frozen marine mix. I am raising the fry in a 15 gallon plastic tub. I could not fit another 55g (as much as I would want to). I do water changes 50-60% three times a week

NearMeBettas

Just over a year now. I am a hobby betta breeder, focusing on HMPK galaxy koi and marble.

Don't expect to get out of what you put in

Have multiple large tanks 10, preferably 20+ to raise the fry in.

Have at least 4+ QT for injuries during mating, sick fish etc.

Its a lot of work...

Feed live food

Do small every other day, or every day water changes instead of big ones.

BigManAquatics

Some fish are just notoriously slow growers as well. Bet they grow faster than my peacock gudgeon fry! Only taken them 3 months to reach what my platy fry get to in about a month..

Pfrozen

I just noticed Beckford's pencilfish fry in my spawning tank a couple of weeks ago. 2 fry from 2 different batches. Now I'm trying to spawn in a more consistent manner. So I guess I recently just started breeding

There's nothing I can say above what these pros have already said but I will mention this. Make sure your water is "good" to begin with. My tap water is bad and it took way too long to figure that out. I use remineralized RO now with 0 issues

Yeoy

I started breeding about 3-5 seconds after I first purchased guppies :D

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Ckline
Replies
Views
Yeoy
Replies
Views
Linda1234