When did you begin loving fish?

BrandiC

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Okay, im going to share my store. Ill try to keep it short and id like to see everyone elses!
So when I was about 8 years old our property had a large pond. Id fish that pond everyday. Well one day I found a brim on a bed, guarding its eggs. There were all kinds of baby large mouth bass grabbing them when they could. So I took my hand held net and stood over the nest. Boy those little bass were fast! But I caught me one! I was so ecstatic that I had just caught that tiny little fish with basically my bare hands! He was about 3 inches when I caught him. Well I put him in a bucket and showed my mom. She said, hey! lets put him in our 55 gallon tank! So, we did. I hand fed him live worms, crickets, anything live. He was my FAVORITE fish in this entire world. He soon outgrew his small enclosure and we had to bring my little buddy back to the pond. I assumed it would be the end of out friendship. But i was wrong, that little guy stayed where I let him go. And I continued to feed him. Everyday like clockwork! Soon he got much larger, and eventually the hand feedings faded. But Ill always remember my friend, the large mouth bass.

Well its kindof long. But thats my story. That is absolutely how I fell in love with fish. Weird that i started with a common bass, a fish that shouldn't be kept in a tank. But its the truth. And it will always be in my memories.

Now share yours! :]

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
aww thats so cute! i always had fish growing up. my mom kept oscars, and they were fun to watch. after my dad killed my favorite (and last) one, i got out of fish for a while. then i started keeping bettas, the way and unknowing kid would, in one of those "betta tanks." then one year for Christmas, i got a frog habitat, and after ruling out almost all land frogs (my mom is afraid of frogs) i got a PacMan. and after my dad killed her (he;s not good with pets that arent sturdy like dogs) i got a couple of African Dwarf Frogs. they wre the custest little things ever and they loved their food. after HBH changed their food, they wouldnt eat ANYTHING! so i got a trio of guppies from my friends brother, and it all went down hill from there. i now have 3 tanks (a 10 gallon with guppies, a 20 long with a gourami, talking catfish, rainbow shark and 4 cuban ditch fish, and a 2 1/2 gallon with a betta) and i love them all and spend the better part of my tame watching them!

BrandiC

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My mom also kept a tank with a few cichlids. They were so beautiful!
Thanks for sharing your story!

FLGirl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I always liked fish but never had any....I remember my Saba having fish, he passed away sometime ago I couldn't tell you all the fish he had, had it all fresh, salt all beautiful. His fish where always super healthy he had some that did so well that he eventually donated them to an Aquarium they where such awesome specimens. With my aquarium now, I didn't even set out to start an aquarium it just sort of happened because a friend wasn't taking it and gave it too me so thats how I started earlier this year. It reminds me allot of him and I know he would enjoy helping me and working on it together if he were still here.

SFwriter

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
We had a 10 gallon tank when I was growing up in the 70s. My parents didn't know much about keeping fish. I remember they got Ich one time and I was fascinated by the treatment. It got algae eventually and we got a pleco about an inch long. It lived with our mollies and sword tails.

One day maybe around age 15 I got a HUGE fish tank, I'm talking about 20 gallons! Twice as big as my parents tank. I kept tetras in there for a time. Later, I switched to reptiles and kept a green anole for a couple of years.

Went out of fish for a while then got a small tank in my apartment. we kept fish until we had to move and got rid of the tank. About 8 years ago I bought my 46-gallon tank and it was originally stocked with tetras. I decided to go live-bearers now that I've restocked the tank. Just his weekend my son got a 1 gallon tank for a betta. His betta will probably move to my 4-gallon tank once my injured fry is big enough to move to the main tank. I know it's small for a betta but it's a LOT better than a small cup with blue water in it.

BrandiC

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yes, it seems like all of our parents had something to do with it.

Rhan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I was about 6 or 7 when I begged my parents to let me have a goldfish. I have no idea what brought it on in particular, but I've always loved animals and would quite happily live in a zoo

We relied totally on a LFS to tell us what to do, what we need etc. We ended up keeping goldfish in bowls (I still feel guilty now) until I was about 8. I saved up all my christmas money and a little bit birthday money and pocket money to buy a 2 foot long 40 litre tank. I can still remember how proud I was that I had got my fish a 'huge' tank (it seemed MASSIVE then lol). We just had one of those really basic filters, clear plastic case with filter wool inside and attached the an airpump. Wow, its amazing how much I didn't know back then that I do now.

After plenty of fish deaths, for reasons unknown at the time, we stopped keeping fish for a few years. But I would also go admire them in the petstores. So I ended up bugging mum and dad to give fish keeping another shot. We were given slightly better information the second time around, ie use a separate for fish only to stop soap getting in the tank, don't clean out the entire tank with chlorinated water, don't overfeed. But we weren't given great information on compatibility. At one point we had 2 angelfish and a male betta in the tank together Only about 6 months ago, I started to research properly rather than relying on the LFS. Anyway, I am trying to right all my wrongs over the years and do as much research as possible. Ignorance may have been a bliss at the time, but now it has turned into guilt that still eats at me now.

My first tank is now nearly 12 years old and is being used as a small tropical community

Wow, sorry for the life story lol

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I started loving fish the first time I saw one swimming in a lake. It was one of those camp/lake things. Anyway, there was a shallow roped in portion on the side of the swimming area and I swam out the the back corner and looked underwater with my goggles and saw sunfish and largemouth bass swimming around. That was the last time I went swimming in the lake. From that point on, my efforts were spent trying to catch the fish. I caught a crayfish in a net and brought it home - we stopped and got a tank on the way home. I guess I was like 7 at the time.

Karl R

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
When I was about 6 years old my father got orders to go to Korea for a year. I was absoutly torn appart inside. I felt like I was toatly helpless as to what happened in my world. Then a dog that was roaming the trailer park where we were living tore my face appart. I couldn't leave and go outside and play with my friends as I was still recovering from the surgery to put my face back together and I felt even worse than ever. So one day my mother in an effort to lift my spirits brought home a wallmart 20 gal starter kit. She took me to wallmart ( I know I know wallmart ) and let me chose what I wanted to put in there. I wound up getting a fancy gold fish I named sushi and a few neons. I had them for about four years. Now here it is 16 years later and I adopted three unwanted aquariums. I still like keeping aquariums for the same reason as I did all those years ago. The fish I keep are entirely dependabt on me. No one else. I have built my own little underwater world. It keeps my mind buisy and has led me to this forum.in this forum I have had the privilage to meet and talk to loads of super friendly, knowledgable, helpful people.

BrandiC

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Great story Karl! Im seeing the same reasons in myself. We recently moved to a small little town I have no friends, stay in all the time. And now I find comfort in my fish! Despite my husband yelling at me for it. Hehe.

peacemaker92

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
My first fish was like most other fish keepers' first fish - a Betta! My first betta was this beautiful blue long tail. My mum got it for me and we kept it in a bowl. Lasted for a few weeks then he died eventually I began to keep more and more fish but all in bowls and jars as I had no knowledge in tanks at that time.

I grew out of fish and stopped keeping them for a few years because of so many deaths. But my grandmum brought me back when she bought this 15 gal for me which came with a filter, cover, light and pump. Before I came across Fishlore, I kept bala sharks and tiger barbs in there till they all died because of overstock and an unestablished tank. When I met Fishlore, I discovered my problems and kept Cherry Barbs and Glowlight tetras. From then, I started loving fish all over again and began my MTS journey!

RayRay

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Oh boy, here we go.

When I was really little I had two goldfish, a common called (wait for it) Goldie and a black moor named Flashlight. They were in a tiny tank, probably 5 gallons, but I was super young so I don't know how long they lasted.

Around my preteens I wanted to have fish and, what luck, my local shop had little feeder comets for 10 cents each! We found the old 5 gallon tank, set it up, and dumped 10 of the little buggers in there. A weeks later they were dead, so I had my dad buy me another dollar's worth. Rinse and repeat for about a month or so. Finally it was deemed that our water "wasn't good enough to keep fish" and we gave up.

Besides these failed attempts I've always loved fish. I used to go fishing with my dad a ton as a kid, and used to catch little sunfish off a dock in New Hampshire using nothing but a butterfly net and fruit rollups and put them in my Dad's cooler. I've also always loved the aquarium and now that I'm older I go every chance that I get, even if I go to the same two over and over.

Now that I've got this tank and I've done my research I'm so in love and happy it's crazy.

Borisbbadd

Too long ago to remember......

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads