When Did This Happen?!

1. KittyFish62

KittyFish62 Well Known Member Member

A year ago, when I was on Fishlore, everybody was just like, "Aquaclear aquaclear aqualcear".

Then, I've just bought an Aquaclear 30, everybody's like "Fluval fluval fluval"

What happened?! What am I missing out on?!

2. KinsKicks

KinsKicks Fishlore VIP Member

Nothing crazy! Aqueon is still great, but Fluval has recently stepped up their game and having great results to back themselves up. However, aqueon is still king in HOB (IMO), but fluval is doing well in other types of filtration that aqueon wasn't all that notable for.

3. Nanologist

Nanologist Well Known Member Member

Hagen is the parent company and they are now branded "Fluval AquaClear".

4. C

Chaory Valued Member Member

I think he is talking about AquaClear and not Aqueon. Someone correct me of I'm wrong, but isn't Fluval and AquaClear the same brand?

5. OP
    OP
    KittyFish62

Ik they're part of the same company, but other than that did I miss out on anything?

6. Nanologist

Other than rebranding I'm pretty sure they're still the same great filters.

7. bigdreams

bigdreams Well Known Member Member

8. OP
    OP
    KittyFish62

9. Nanologist

10. NavigatorBlack

NavigatorBlack Fishlore VIP Member

I quite like the fluval aqua-clear, but for me, the most important thing with any filter is to ditch the media and modify. Use sponge, or recycled plastic fiber, and don't buy the cycle killing inserts. They were invented to make consumers continue to buy, and not to improve filtration.
    I find the aquaclears very easy to modify. I haven't seen any of the Seachem models - that's a new brand without a major reputation yet. It might be good, but I'd like to see how well it modifies. As well, it is good to see how a new entry into the market lasts after a few years. My Fluval/aquaclears have run like beasts.
    I have Chinese no name HOBs that are workhorses, and have been for a few years. How can you recommend a no name though?

11. grantm91

grantm91 Fishlore VIP Member

12. grantm91

I made a mistake with the quote lol sorry

13. OP
    OP
    KittyFish62

I need to shop for no-names more

14. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_b Fishlore VIP Member

I am still Marineland. No way will I give them up.

15. clk89

clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

It seems to happen with most brands that others start pumping out quality to compete with the others. In the end it's pretty much up to the individual which brand they like best. I personally am not even a fan of HOBs and prefer sponge filters for smaller tanks and canisters for larger tanks.

16. NavigatorBlack

NavigatorBlack Fishlore VIP Member

It is interesting.
    I find flaws in all - AquaClears tend not to restart after blackouts, but as they wear out, you get one cheap repair to get a few more years from them. I like that. The newer fluval HOB is not as good as the aquaclear.
    Marinelands have flimsy impellers that have tended to fail here, but they are inexpensive at the get go. I have one I love, and 3 waiting for recycling.
    My no names have badly designed impellers, in that when they finally wear out, there is no repair possible (maybe well designed for marketing).
    Seachems are mysterious never seen unknowns, though the company has good sales reps, and those who have bought them seem to like them so far.
    I am an HOB fan, and am not crazy about canisters. If I see a tidal at a good price when something else is failing, and it's made so the media can be modified, I'll try it. With a multiple tank set up I get to experiment.

I imagine there are a number of excellent brands in other countries that North Americans don't get to comment on.

17. grantm91

Im not a fan of the Hob i just got it for my salt water tank to skim the surface, break the surface tension and to do mechanical filtration as im a neat freak and nothing would fit the bill as the tank sits on the larger 1 of my 2 nest tables it was a skeptical buy im canisters all the way preferably fluval but that hob for £13 im in awe at how good it is.

18. OP
    OP
    KittyFish62

@clk89 ayyy I remember you

19. bgclarke

bgclarke Well Known Member Member

My 10 gallon kit is Marineland.

I got rid of the Penguin filter within a few months, nothing but trouble for me.

I'm now running modified Aqueon Quietflow filters on all my larger tanks.

Not sure what's going on my new 29 gallon yet.
    Due to power bumps we get here it must be able to self prime, so that leaves the Aquaclears out unfortunately.
    It'll either be what I'm familiar with and know how to mod, or a Seachem Tidal.

20. PartiTime

PartiTime New Member Member

Want to know a secret? Hagen makes both Aquaclear AND Fluval.

And also Marina.