When dealing coral glue.. Remember to wear gloves!

Discussion in 'Corals' started by LiterallyHydro, Jul 7, 2015.

1. LiterallyHydro

LiterallyHydro Well Known Member Member

I'm sure I'm not the only one who's been there.. But I was just now gluing some corals to a few pieces of live rock. I didn't wear gloves this time and the glue got all over my hands. I spent the last 30-40 minutes with hot soapy water getting it all off.

Don't make the same mistake I did. Just get some cheap surgical gloves for dealing with coral frags!

2. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

That sucks. You don't use epoxy?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. Slug

Slug Well Known Member Member

I was doing the same today. Super glue on the fingers isn't fun especially when you start touching other frags and get it all over those too. Fingernail polish remover does a good job removing it fast though.

Yes, gloves are always a good idea!

4. OP
    OP
    LiterallyHydro

Nope, after using both, I much prefer the strength of the glue. It's just very messy by comparison for me.

I'll have to try that next time. Most likely won't be a next time though, I'm going to use disposable surgical gloves for next time.

5. Slug

Slug Well Known Member Member

I keep a box beside the tank, cheap investment that could save you later on! It also saved my hands as my clownfish did NOT like my hands near their hosting site at all. So every time they'd nip me it would be all rubber glove rather than flesh.

I use epoxy and glue, make a superglue sandwich epoxy in the middle to glue to rock. Seems to be a stronger bond. If it's just a plug it will usually be just glue. For my hard corals that is. Soft corals can be a pain in the butt as they will slime up easier and just release themselves. Always nice to have something stony or a skeleton to glue.

6. OP
    OP
    LiterallyHydro

Exactly what I want to do. I'll have to try the epoxy and glue combo sometime. I hate fragging soft corals for that very reason. I have a lot less issues fragging LPS/SPS corals.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice