When can you tell sex of molly fries?

Discussion in 'Molly' started by Kendra, Apr 2, 2012.

1. K

Kendra New Member Member

hi everyone,
    I'm just wondering when can you tell sex of molly fries? My fries are just a bit over 5 weeks now and I have noticed one of them constantly follow the female adults and show mating posture. Does that mean he will be a boy later on? his anal fin is becoming more triangular than the other fries. All the fries are about 1.8cm-2cm now. I dont want them to interbreed so I want to take out the male but I'm not 100% sure he is a male yet. If I leave him in the tank for another 6 weeks (cause I'm going away soon), is there a possibility that they can reproduce? or is he too young to do that? thank you

Kendra

2. N

Nieveso New Member Member

not neccecarily my guppy fry atm are one month and 4 days old but i have to squint to see colour keep a close eye on their anal fins if its a boy they will soon become pointed then eventually turn into a gonopodium by the sounds of that one yes he is a boy but they cant reproduce till 3 months old so you have nothing to worry about. But why dont you want them to interbreed if you do that for a while and sell the throwbacks and then eventually sell the good ones you could make some decent cash$$$ :D ???

Last edited: Apr 21, 2012

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice