Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

When Can I Start Feeding Puffer Fish Shrimp

Discussion in 'Saltwater Beginners' started by Oarngesi, May 20, 2019.

1. Oarngesi Valued Member Member

i got a 2in dogface puffer about what size can I feed him frozen shrimp like from the grocery store. Also at that small how do I feed him snails to wear down his teeth can I just buy a small cleaning crew and let the little guy pick him off as he pleases.

2. nikm128 Fishlore VIP Member

You could probably feed it shrimp now if you cut them in half, any snail that will fit in its mouth can be eaten. I would feed snails at least twice a week to start, maybe more if the beak grows faster than usual. If you can, I would find a place to let some ramshorn snails reproduce so you always have a good selection.

3. Oarngesi Valued Member Member

This may sound stupid but are they different than freshwater snails

4. nikm128 Fishlore VIP Member

I'm not quite sure what you're asking, are what different than freshwater snails?

5. ystrout Well Known Member Member

As soon as he will accept them, you can feed them to him. Try giving him a full shrimp, if he doesn't want it, just cut it in to small pieces. Or just give him Mysis shrimp while he is young which will condition him to taking large down the line.

I'm confused about the teeth growth of puffers too. I have a spotted congo puffer (freshwater) who I feed snails, mysis shrimp, bloodworms, and she eats a bunch of the RCS in my tank. The last 2 weeks, I haven't been giving her many snails and have been feeding her more bloodworms and Mysis shrimp to allow my snail colony time to grow so I stop running out of snails. I've been paying attention and her teeth look the exact same without snails. Maybe all the RCS shrimp she eats wears down her teeth?

Plus, she's not even big enough to devour the snail shell either. She normally eats the meat out of the snail and doesn't touch the shell. Even on the smaller snails. Maybe their teeth just start growing faster as they get older? Mine is still an adolescent so maybe that's why her teeth aren't growing fast right now.

I've heard puffers will actually gnaw on shells and stuff to keep their teeth the right length. I have never seen mine do this though.

As for salt vs freshwater snails, I don't see any issues feeding her freshwater snails like ramshorns. They'll die in saltwater, but if she eats them right away, what does it matter?

6. ystrout Well Known Member Member

I think he means is there a problem feeding a saltwater puffer a freshwater snail.

7. nikm128 Fishlore VIP Member

Hmm, I know you shouldn't feed freshwater feeder fish to saltwater fish due to lack of proper nutrients, I'm not sure if that would also apply to snails

8. ystrout Well Known Member Member

I would make a search on thepufferforum. There appears to be lots of info on there.

Seems like lots of people feed their dogfaces ramshorn. Is it right? I'm not sure. I do know most Mysis shrimp are freshwater (some do grow in brackish) animals and they're a staple in the marine diet, so just because it grows in the freshwater doesn't mean it isn't good for salt. Same goes for clams on the halfshell, a lot of the 'baby clams' they sell are actually freshwater clams that grow in rivers.