When can I release platy fry?

Fishfriendkeeper

I feel so bad because I really want these fry to live but I’m going on vacation. A friend with fish/pet keeping experience has agreed to take my fry in, but I only have a one gallon for the fry and can’t upgrade.

My oldest fry (fleck) is 3-4 weeks old. They are in a breeder box, along with all my other fry, but I don’t want him to get stunted. The younger fry I’m not worrying about. So I have two questions. A: is it safe to add him to the main tank now (pics of him unzoomed below) and B: if I don’t add him to the main tank and keep him in the 1 gallon, will he get stunted from being in a small tank for a month?

(Sorry for the terrible scape, I’m rescaping it natural when I come back from vacation. Made the mistake of not so much research on decor and letting a 6 year old girl pick out tank decor)

Edit: Pictures don’t show it clear but he’s about 1-1 1/2 cm long. Biggest threat is red wag swordtail and gold twinbar platy, they’re the oldest and the biggest.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 7
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 7
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 6
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 5
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 5
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 5

BigManAquatics

My platies pretty much ignore the fry after about a week or two. Not so easy to stuff in the mouth quickly by then.

Fishfriendkeeper

My platies pretty much ignore the fry after about a week or two. Not so easy to stuff in the mouth quickly by then.
Thank you so much! The swordtails most likely aren’t going to bother him either? They are pretty young, I bought the red wag from pet smart in may and the pineapple swordtail from a LFS a couple weeks ago.

BigManAquatics

Might try, but looks like you got enough spots to hide that if the fry have any desire to survive at all, they should.

Fishfriendkeeper

Might try, but looks like you got enough spots to hide that if the fry have any desire to survive at all, they should.
Hopefully my fry will survive. I’ll give the younger fry which could defend fit into my bigger fishes mouth to my friend and put them in the one gallon, should be fine. Fleck (my oldest fry) was the last one remaining of his batch that I found probably a week after he was born. Also, will he have enough to eat? Planning to set the auto feeder to every 24 hours, and algae doesn’t really grow much in my tank besides the occasional bloom but with the light off for a month I expect no algae.

emeraldking

Fleck should be okay with the other fish. Overhere, my platies also leave the fry alone.

Fishfriendkeeper

I released fleck! He seems to be doing fine, the adults nipped at him a little and chased him around, but didn’t eat him. He’s been hiding, but he came out for food. Little guy loves their tank. He’s doing good. Can’t wait to see him when I come back from vacation. Thanks for all the help!

Got a picture of him! He’s hiding but my camera was able to pick him up. So cute!

Attachments

• 2C67B2FE-EF84-4DE1-9B3D-27F24E4154DB.jpeg
    2C67B2FE-EF84-4DE1-9B3D-27F24E4154DB.jpeg
    157.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 9955F085-2344-4EF5-B0F4-251AB32B1D41.jpeg
    9955F085-2344-4EF5-B0F4-251AB32B1D41.jpeg
    157.8 KB · Views: 1

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Fishfriendkeeper
  • Platy
Replies
Views