When can I do an outdoor guppy pond/bin?

NearMeBettas

I'm in MN US and am wondering when it would be safe to start my 30 and 150 gallon guppy ponds? They will be placed in partial shade or full sun and I an able to run a 15 gallon heater just to slightly raise it at night next to the heater. A friend's son's friend has guppies and is wanting to downgrade a few of the offspring (free to me) so I will be getting 10-15 plus I have over 20 current gups. What minimum temp can it go down to? It's an average of 40 and 50 at night and 55 and 62 at day. Any recommendations for keeping my ducks and other critters out of the ponds?

Flyfisha

The temperature you write is that air temperature?
If the pond is set up and has an established filter or established planted filter it’s the lowest water temperature that is most important.
I have zero experience keeping guppies outdoors but do run a handful of outdoor tubs. It’s alarming the difference in nighttime water temperature and daytime water temperature if the water gets full sun.

I have deciduous trees above one group of tubs and now realise just how many leaves and blossom fall all year round.
Running a heater outdoors is very expensive in my country.

What are your local laws about the depth of water you can have without a fence? Children drown in 5 gallon nappy buckets, be careful.

If you have ducks and “critters “ you will need to have appropriate netting.

To help begin to answer your questions about temperature. I believe the temperature they are currently living in is more important than what books say. If they are currently in a tank with a heater at tropical temperatures you will need to lower the temperature over a few weeks . Start by turning the heater down, then off but still indoors. Only then can you move fish outside .

4 degrees centigrade seems pretty low if that is 40 Fahrenheit?

emeraldking

Your guppies indoors should be acclimated to lower temps first. Guppies already tolerate a wide margin in temperature. But best to let them get used to lower temps gradually.
My outdoor season has already started. So, also guppies are currently swimming outdoors.

Flyfisha

Hey emeraldking can you please “pick a number” for the minimum water temperature for guppies once they are living outside. ?

How many degrees is the minimum you feel comfortable keeping your tubs at overnight before you start bringing the guppy fish back inside.

ProudPapa

Hey emeraldking can you please “pick a number” for the minimum water temperature for guppies once they are living outside. ?

How many degrees is the minimum you feel comfortable keeping your tubs at overnight before you start bringing the guppy fish back inside.

I'm interested in what he says also. In the meantime my experience may help. I put some out too early last spring and lost all but one when the temperature got down into the 40's F. They were fine until then, so I'd say you're probably okay down to the mid 50's, or maybe a little lower.

emeraldking

Well, once they're used to fluctuations in water temperature, 9-10°C (±50°F) the lowest but preferably 12-15°C at night. If it gets lower my guppies will hide in those plants. And they'll be fine.

I'll always harvest them somewhere in fall. That could be September, October or November, depending on the water temperature.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
BPSabelhaus
Replies
Views
RelaxingBettas
Replies
Views
Petchratn
Replies
Views