When can I add water?

Jon Crosby

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Good morning from Sydney!

I started this little project on 24th March.

Here is how it started -

1AB80B14-BEE1-408A-B9A0-E8D7752BE192.jpeg

I’ve added my seeds and been spraying with water daily and using cling film over the top to keep moist inside and now this is what I have -

3FC7BC37-E899-4E6C-A896-31F9ED38FFCE.jpeg

so my question is, is it ready to fill with water? Have the roots had enough time to grow to bed into the soil so they won’t float when it’s filled?

Seasoldier

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi, from the looks of the roots on the front edge they've taken nicely I'd add a couple of inches then let it settle to see how it goes.

AquaticQueen

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Jon Crosby said:
Good morning from Sydney!

I started this little project on 24th March.

Here is how it started -

1AB80B14-BEE1-408A-B9A0-E8D7752BE192.jpeg

I’ve added my seeds and been spraying with water daily and using cling film over the top to keep moist inside and now this is what I have -

3FC7BC37-E899-4E6C-A896-31F9ED38FFCE.jpeg

so my question is, is it ready to fill with water? Have the roots had enough time to grow to bed into the soil so they won’t float when it’s filled?
Wow, this looks really cool! What seeds did you use?

OP
Jon Crosby

Jon Crosby

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Seasoldier said:
Hi, from the looks of the roots on the front edge they've taken nicely I'd add a couple of inches then let it settle to see how it goes.
i might give it another day or 2 before I fill it, is there a big difference from filling a few inches than doing the whole thing? Because if they come out they won’t be going back in

AquaticQueen said:
Wow, this looks really cool! What seeds did you use?
I literally bought them off Ali Express, was interested to see if they’d even work and they have.

AU $1.33 8% Off | Aquatic Water Grass Plant Seeds Aquarium For Fish Small Big Leaf Aquarium Decoration Fish Tank Landscape Ornament Acuariofilia 9

saltwater60 said:
I totally wish I knew about this before I started my tank.
No harm in getting another tank? My one was just a cheap 5G, doesn’t take much room up which is the best part

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hate to be the bearer of bad news but those are not legit carpeting seeds. They are either Hygrophila polysperma (an invasive species in the US) or something else. They are sold by Chinese vendors online as instant aquarium carpets but note this: NO CARPETING PANT IS GROWN FROM SEEDS. You have to get them as pots, mats, or tissue cultures.

Granted, if they are Hygro polysperma, they will grow, albeit into tall leafy stem plants that need a lot of trimming. Watch this video:

OP
Jon Crosby

Jon Crosby

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I am aware of this. I read a lot of the reviews etc saying that after 6-12 months they’ll die off but it’s just a experiment

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom