When can I add a blue hippo tang?

angelfish5765

Member
I have a tank that I started late December (it's about 2 - 2 1/2 weeks old). It has 2 clowns, 1 cardinal fish, 1 chocolate chip starfish, and a handful of hermits & snails. I was wondering when I can add a blue hippo tang? Ammonia & Nitrite are 0. Nitrate was high, but then I rinsed out my fluval filter and it went back down. Phosphates are high, but I'm positive it was from overfeeding (thought I had to leave extra for the hermits & snails) and now I have Phoslock filter media in there, so it should be coming down. I have about 150lbs. of rock in there, about 1/2 live and 1/2 lace. My children and I are so excited to get Dory, especially now that we have Nemo. When can we get her?
 

lanlesnee

Member
Was the live rock established already or did you start with uncured rock?
 

zeeter

Member
The tank should mature for a couple of months before adding any of the less hardy fish. You don't want to buy a hippo tang just to have it die because the tank couldn't handle the new bioload. As for the phosphates, are you using RO/DI?
 
  • Thread Starter

angelfish5765

Member
I had one really nice piece of live rock with purple corraline algae all over it that I bought at the LFS and the rest I bought from a friend. His was a mix of live and lace, but he had them curing in his tank for about a week before he brought it over, so it's partially seeded and just needs to fill in a little more. All things considered I would say my rock is about 1/2 live and 1/2 lace, but I have about 150lb. in there and the tank is only 90g, so I would tend to think that's plenty for now, even with some of it not being completely live yet.

As for the phosphates, I've tested my water source and it's not coming from there. It measured 0 on nitrates too. We have well water & a softener. The only bad thing about that water that I can see so far is the high level of carbonate hardness. It's off the charts, but I'm not sure how much that matters if I don't have corals. I have to upgrade my lighting before I add corals (which is way off in the distant future) and I was planning on getting R/O then.

So I was thinking maybe I could get Dory soon because she has to spend 2 weeks in quarantine anyways. I have a small hospital tank that I'll be using to treat her for ich, since they are so prone to it, before adding her to the tank and by then the main tank should be a little more established. What do you guys think?
 

lanlesnee

Member
Did you tank go though a cycle? Did you see everything go up and back down?
If so I still wait about a couple of weeks just to be sure.
BHT's are not a hardy and will be prone to ich. Make sure when you get her you feed her algae at least 2 twice a week.
And don't over feed because you think your snails/crabs need it. Make them scavage for they food. Sounds mean, but that's what they're in there for.
 

harpua2002

Member
I wouldn't add a hippo to a 90 at all unless you have plans to upgrade. They're really active and would do much better in a 125 or 180 IMO. They're very prone to stress related illness, even more so in a tank that is too small.
 

new_sw_gurl

Member
If you're dead set on getting one, start with a tiny one (mine was the size of a 1/2 dollar) and plan on returning him/her within a year or so because they'll outgrow the tank quickly. BHT is not a cheap fish by any means and you'll be disappointed when your $70 or more fish is floating belly up. Your tank is very new. I would wait at least 4 months to give your tank time to establish. You may still see some minI cycles and the BHT is much less tolerant of them than Nemo will be. I waited over 6 months to get mine. It's hard....but try to think of the fish too.
 

harpua2002

Member
Remember, trading in a larger specimen for a smaller specimen is pretty much going to result in a tank teardown to get it out. I've been there and done that with a coral munching dwarf angel and it's no fun.
 
  • Thread Starter

angelfish5765

Member
Yea, ammonia & nitrate went up a little briefly and then went back down. I had some established media from a friend as well as live rock so I think that helped. Yea, I really want one but I can wait another couple months at least. Thanks guys for being the voice of reason.
 

Most photos and links are disabled if you are not logged into the forum.

Log in or register to view

Top Bottom