When breeding guppies, how to choose breeders?

houiej
This is kind of specific because I already know what colors/strains I wish to achieve. I really like tuxedos, which are bi-colored guppies, more commonly available are the German Yellow tuxedos.

I have a male tuxedo that has a blue body and red tail. And I would like to breed it. How should I go about choosing a female for it in order to continue with the tuxedo strain?

Also, how does one achieve a tuxedo strain from cheap guppies rather than the fancy ones?

Would appreciate any advice. Thanks!

Advertisement
Akari_32
just pick a female (or two) that has little color, or has simular colors, let her be by herself for a few months to get rid of any sperm she may have stored and then when you think she's ready, put her with your male. breed mother to son and daughter to father (daughter to father would work best, I think), but only the fry with the best traits. you'll need a lot of tanks and time. good luck!

Advertisement
sirdarksol
Pick fish who have one or more of the traits you want to breed. Put them together (after isolating the female as AkarI said). Let them breed. Pick out the fry that are closer to the trait you want (you want yellow tuxedos, so if some of the fry are showing the tuxedo trait but also have yellow in them, work with them) and continue.

You can do this from feeders, but it certainly is more difficult (unless you happen to get feeders from the precise strain that you want).

Kunsthure
Wait, you're supposed to inbreed them? You really do mean to have the daughter fish mate with her own father? That can't be healthy for the gene pool.

-Lisa

sirdarksol
That is how specialized breeding occurs.
Goldfish, koi, and most of the bettas, not to mention dogs and cats, out there are all the way they are because people used this technique, or something very similar, to pick and choose particular traits.
As long as the gene pool is periodically deepened, and as long as the fish with defects aren't allowed to breed, this isn't a huge issue.

Akari_32
Wait, you're supposed to inbreed them? You really do mean to have the daughter fish mate with her own father? That can't be healthy for the gene pool.

-Lisa

its how most breeders (whether its fish, dog, cat, whatever) do it. also, fish do it any ways, it just sounds creepy when you put it to words >.<

edit* I got ninja'd! =C

Similar Aquarium Threads

2 3 4
Replies
Views
potterTheDachshund
  • Question
Replies
Views
DixieFish
Replies
Views