When are Young Rainbowfish Big Enough to Be Added to Group of Adults?

Megaanemp

Hello all,

I have been raising a few Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish fry and I am thinking they‘re possibly large enough to add the my school of adult Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish. The little guys are also becoming a bit skittish due to being in a small group so I’m hoping to move them as soon as its safe. I would appreciate a second opinion. :)

For size reference, the largest fry is a little larger than an ember tetra and the other two are pretty much ember tetra size. My adult rainbows are only about the size of harlequin rasboras (they too may have a bit of growing to do).

The fry are definitely too big to bit to be swallowed, but I’m not sure if theyd be bullied due to their smaller size. The group of adults consists of 2 males and 3 females. The two boys are overall pretty chill and I hardly see any sparing so I dont think they’d bully the little guys but I’ve never added new individuals to the school. I think the younger Rainbows are still too young to sex, they’re starting to get some good colour now but the fins are still orange and I‘m not sure if they’re all female or if the males don’t develop the red fin colouring until they’re a bit larger.

Advice is much appreciated!

A201

Provide plenty of hardscape & cover. As long as the juveniles are too big to swallow & are provided retreats, introducing them into the display tank should be fine.

Megaanemp

Provide plenty of hardscape & cover. As long as the juveniles are too big to swallow & are provided retreats, introducing them into the display tank should be fine.
Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it!

The tank has quite a lot of plants and driftwood for cover, I think I’ll give it a go.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Megaanemp
Replies
Views
DesertDweller42
Replies
Views
Megaanemp
Replies