When are the fry

KribensisLover1

Well Known
Reaction score
Considered safe? Is there an amount of time (a week a month etc etc), when people consider the fry still alive to be safe to survive to become juveniles? I know of course it depends on tankmates yet I just mean in your own experience what have you found to be true?

Flyfisha

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Ok I have zero hands on experience with the cichlid species.

In all species we say the young have to be big enough not to fit in the mouths of the larger fish.
However from what I have read kribs are likely to breed again soon and would see young fish as a threat to the next generation.

OP
KribensisLover1

KribensisLover1

Well Known
Reaction score
Flyfisha said:
Ok I have zero hands on experience with the cichlid species.

In all species we say the young have to be big enough not to fit in the mouths of the larger fish.
However from what I have read kribs are likely to breed again soon and would see young fish as a threat to the next generation.
Yes Thank you! I was kind of just wondering for any fry you’ve had personally (If you’ve had repeated spawns, as this would be based on patterns), after how many weeks does the fry amount level off? Perhaps that’s a better question. For example, I had 80 fry on a Friday, 40 by Tuesday, and then by Sat I had 14. So I’m just wondering when, in your experience and for ANY fish types, have you noticed that the little guys still left seem to stick around (numbers not changing crazily)?

Flyfisha

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
To raise other cichlid fry I have the fry and the adults in separate tanks.
In a river or lake the fish can spread out. In our tanks I fear all the young will be killed?

OP
KribensisLover1

KribensisLover1

Well Known
Reaction score
Flyfisha said:
To raise other cichlid fry I have the fry and the adults in separate tanks.
In a river or lake the fish can spread out. In our tanks I fear all the young will be killed?
Thank you! That’s the kind of answer I mean. Basically like I have mollies there are 100 fry and they have about 6 survivors if I don’t move them. I have tetras there are 75 and only 2 have lived. OR I move them so some will live lol!

New Threads