When are chillers necessary?

Dirtman

I'm looking for opinions on whether you guys think I'm going to need to run a chiller on the tank I'm setting up. Most people I talk to say they are almost mandatory when running metal halide lighting. The tank is a 65G w/ 30 gallon sump with 2x65 watt 24" CFL's, and 1x150 watt metal halide lighting. Right now the room the tank is in stays at 62 degrees but about 68-70 in the summer. Just curious if I should start planning the chiller into my budget or if I should be able to get away without one or with just fans between the light and water?

Thai Aquarium owner

Dirtman,
Unless you like wasting your hard earned money, do not buy a chiller.
They are horrendously expensive.
Living here in Thailand, the temperatures are hot all year round, with a peak of about mid 40,s deg C in April / May.
We do not use chillers here because of the expense, not just for the purchase of them, but also the running costs ( v.expensive - same as an air con unit )
Instead, I use a series of small fans mounted above the tanks that are played on the waters surface to regulate the waters temp.
The fans create a kind of thermal vortex in the tank, and the warm water rises to the surface where it is chilled and then circulated back down ( make sense ? )
The only drawback from this method is the high tank evaporation experienced
A smaller price to pay IMO
As long as you have a good tank placement away from any windows, this will be OK for you, and I have seen many tanks like this here - even keeping live corals at a constant 26 Deg C
I hope this helps you a little

Teishokue

Chillers are required if you are keeping cold water species but have a high external temperatures. With your lighting, it is best used with a chiller but not a necessity. Only purchase the chiller if you have the budget to do so and as previously stated, chillers will soak electricity. Then again, metal halides to too

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
GreenT
Replies
Views
sairving
Replies
Views
Basil
Replies
Views