Question When are Black occelaris clownfish sexually mature?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I was wondering if any of you knew when black occelaris clownfish are sexually mature?

is it a certain size or age?
Is it a certain time?

Please Help Me Any Info Is Greatly Appreciated And Any Links

-Matt

soldieroffortune1974

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have found some interesting articles on breeding Clownfish:

Apparently,most of the articles on breeding clownfish have been written by the same individual,or the same material has been repeatedly copied.

None of the articles give an exact age of maturity,but say when they are adults. That's your time frame,they mate when they are adults.Interestingly enough,the article(s) say the clownfish are ALL born MALE and the largest dominant individual becomes female,at what point that occurs isn't listed.

Hopefully that helps a bit,but still leaves the question unanswered.

Matt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
yer all clowns do start off as males. Thanks for those links they helped me alot

I have seen my clownfish clearing a piece of live rock so i am excited that this may mean they are preparing for breeding. I have noticed them doing the "clownfish waggle" but no eggs so far although i think that may be a sign of them pairing up.

-Matt

nemo addict

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
clownfish are asexual then when paired or grouped the largest will become the female when this female dies the next largest in line will take her place there will only be one female in a group if another invades there terrortry they will fight

nemo addict

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
when there paired they wont change sex till then and obviously cant mate if 2 males

nemo addict

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ok Thanks Nemo

I Love Your Avatar Pic If A Blue Tang. Is it Yours?

-Matt
Yes matt his mine ,, he is a yellow belly regal tang (Paracanthurus hepatus)
which are rare compared to the normal regal , they also cost more but i got a great bargain with mine and payed less then the normal regal because my lfs thought he just had bad colouring ,, I purchased him nearly 2 years ago and he was only 2inchs he is now 7 inchs and a great tank mate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom