When angry people strike

Brizburk

Today as I was headed to my car to go to work I had to cross the street and walk down the street about 100ft due to the lack of sidewalks. This is something I do every day. Today however a woman driving a car drove up behind me very quickly and honked at me. I turned around and her bumper was about 2 feet away from me, I was right in the center of her front bumper. I raised my hands palms up and yelled "Hey!" It was my startle response. She rolled her window down and screamed at me "You're in the road"
I said back "Yeah I know." As I continued to walk she aggressively drove past me, I had to step out of the way to not get hit. In my right hand was my nalgene bottle and my car keys, I swung at her car hitting it. She was so close to me that my arm did not fully extend when I made contact with her car. I heard her yelling at me but couldn't make out her words. She stopped and put her car in reverse but didn't move.

I recognized the passenger of the car to be an older woman who lives in my apartment bldg. She and I see each other often as we seem to work similar hours. My neighbor is always dropped off by a woman driving a white 4 door sedan. My neighbor happens to work for the Metro bus, and always wears a high visibility vest along with her metro uniform.

It will be interesting to see if my neighbor apologizes for her friends behavior or blames me for crossing the street.

I attempted to make a police report but the officer said it wasn't reportable. Funny because had a patrol officer witnessed it they would pull that vehicle over. People are killed by cars regularly in Seattle so why then is it ok to threaten a pedestrian with your vehicle... Ugh. Lazy.

Ebreus

I would double check the laws/codes/whatever for if the officer you spoke with was being truthful with you. This sounds like it would be a report able offense. If it is a reportable offenses and a cop isn't taking legitimately report able offenses then there is a larger problem and should probably be reported to a higher authority than the local police.

Brizburk

I would double check the laws/codes/whatever for if the officer you spoke with was being truthful with you. This sounds like it would be a report able offense. If it is a reportable offenses and a cop isn't taking legitimately report able offenses then there is a larger problem and should probably be reported to a higher authority than the local police.
I agree. But I wouldn't know where to start

Mr. Kgnao

Worth remembering that most angry people aren't angry because they're bad people, but because things aren't going their way. (He said haughtily from his high horse.)

A201

There really wasn't any elements of a crime. Apparently an overt act wasn't perpetrated by the driver that could be interpreted to be an actual or attempted AWDW w/ vehicle.
Unfortunately it is no crime to be a unsavory person.
Had a Policeman witnessed the incident, maybe enough PC existed to affect a traffic stop: Failure to yeild to pedestrian / Stopping & Starting violation or maybe a Lane violation.
Glad you're okay & hope you get an apology.

EmiliyaCossack

Worth remembering that most angry people aren't angry because they're bad people, but because things aren't going their way. (He said haughtily from his high horse.)

My husband have a game for every time a driver is super rude to us, almost causes an accident, etc. That we say, "That man's wife is about to have her baby."

If it's a woman than her husband fell off a ladder, helps us not to get so mad. I did call someone a jerk today though. The horror.

Today as I was headed to my car to go to work I had to cross the street and walk down the street about 100ft due to the lack of sidewalks. This is something I do every day. Today however a woman driving a car drove up behind me very quickly and honked at me. I turned around and her bumper was about 2 feet away from me, I was right in the center of her front bumper. I raised my hands palms up and yelled "Hey!" It was my startle response. She rolled her window down and screamed at me "You're in the road"
I said back "Yeah I know." As I continued to walk she aggressively drove past me, I had to step out of the way to not get hit. In my right hand was my nalgene bottle and my car keys, I swung at her car hitting it. She was so close to me that my arm did not fully extend when I made contact with her car. I heard her yelling at me but couldn't make out her words. She stopped and put her car in reverse but didn't move.

I recognized the passenger of the car to be an older woman who lives in my apartment bldg. She and I see each other often as we seem to work similar hours. My neighbor is always dropped off by a woman driving a white 4 door sedan. My neighbor happens to work for the Metro bus, and always wears a high visibility vest along with her metro uniform.

It will be interesting to see if my neighbor apologizes for her friends behavior or blames me for crossing the street.

I attempted to make a police report but the officer said it wasn't reportable. Funny because had a patrol officer witnessed it they would pull that vehicle over. People are killed by cars regularly in Seattle so why then is it ok to threaten a pedestrian with your vehicle... Ugh. Lazy.

I hope you do report it somehow, that's incredibly illegal. So sorry that happened to you! I used to live in North Spokane, so opposite side of the state from you but same laws. That person if that happened in Spokane would be in so much trouble, so hopefully you find a more understanding officer!

coralbandit

I would have thought hitting the car with an object would have started the crime ball rolling ?
What if the driver has damages to the vehicle and wants to make a claim ?
According to the officer there was no offense ?

A201

In Oklahoma, throwing a projectile at a moving vehicle is a Felony. Striking a vehicle with a plastic bottle & not actually throwing it, maybe Vandalism or Malicious Mischief.

Leeman75

Sounds like the driver needs some sort of calming hobby to de-stress...maybe watching fish peacefully swim around in a tank could do her some good!

Brizburk

I would have thought hitting the car with an object would have started the crime ball rolling ?
What if the driver has damages to the vehicle and wants to make a claim ?
According to the officer there was no offense ?
I'd think attempting to run over a pedestrian with a car would get the ball rolling. I wonder if she thought she hit me? I stood behind a large bush when she put her car in reverse. I say hitting a car with a bottle was in self defense. I'm no match for a car.

Brizburk

In Oklahoma, throwing a projectile at a moving vehicle is a Felony. Striking a vehicle with a plastic bottle & not actually throwing it, maybe Vandalism or Malicious Mischief.
In wa state a driver must not proceed until all pedestrians have left the roadway. Neither officer I spoke with indicated I was in the wrong. One said the driver was in the wrong the other could not have cared less. Both said to call 911 right away if anything like this should happen again.

MacZ

Both said to call 911 right away if anything like this should happen again.

Both are correct. The closer to the incident, the more likely to find the offending party in flagrantI (at the scene/red-handed), which would make the responding officer a witness and the case more likely to happen. Problem in many such cases (whereever it happens) is that it would be a "word against word"-case if no witnesses are brought up. And law enforcement and courts often see such cases as a waste of time in comparison to cases with witnesses and tangible evidence. Sometimes a shame, but let's face it, I bet they get things like these reported all day long.

Debbie1986

Well, I suggest filming it ASAP when it all started just for your protection.

There are crazy ppl out there. You have no idea how crazy a person is. I'd suggest de-escalating especially if you walk this area everyday at the same time.

Don't mess with crazy.

Take the concept of 'win' out of the equation. neither of you can or will win. What can happen is a crazy person driving a car can hit you.

Her anxiety increased because she almost hit you and blames you. You got defensive & self righteous. No 1 won, but now you are both entrenched in your world view. What happens next time she drives there & you are there?

Situational awareness is key to survival. Always walk against traffic, not with it. No ear phones, or leave 1 ear open to hear ambient noise.

Police only care about crimes. You need to think proactively about your safety imo. No offense intended, jmo.

Brizburk

Both are correct. The closer to the incident, the more likely to find the offending party in flagrantI (at the scene/red-handed), which would make the responding officer a witness and the case more likely to happen. Problem in many such cases (whereever it happens) is that it would be a "word against word"-case if no witnesses are brought up. And law enforcement and courts often see such cases as a waste of time in comparison to cases with witnesses and tangible evidence. Sometimes a shame, but let's face it, I bet they get things like these reported all day long.
You're right. They don't care about these things, there's no possible way to follow up which is why I didn't call 911, I called the non emergency number. I did want it on record I case the driver does something in the future.

Brizburk

Well, I suggest filming it ASAP when it all started just for your protection.

There are crazy ppl out there. You have no idea how crazy a person is. I'd suggest de-escalating especially if you walk this area everyday at the same time.

Don't mess with crazy.

Take the concept of 'win' out of the equation. neither of you can or will win. What can happen is a crazy person driving a car can hit you.

Her anxiety increased because she almost hit you and blames you. You got defensive & self righteous. No 1 won, but now you are both entrenched in your world view. What happens next time she drives there & you are there?

Situational awareness is key to survival. Always walk against traffic, not with it. No ear phones, or leave 1 ear open to hear ambient noise.

Police only care about crimes. You need to think proactively about your safety imo. No offense intended, jmo.
It happened too fast to get my phone out and start filming. I was also more concerned with not being hit by a car. As for feeling like I won because I hit her car, that can't be any further from the truth, it was reactionary to the fact that she began driving before I was clear of her front bumper. I am worried about meeting this driver again as it's only a matter of time, but if I'm able I will get her license plate number.

coralbandit

I was not implying I thought you hitting the car was wrong [whether it is or not ] but I think it may have been omitted in the story from your attempt to report .
I might have mentioned she missed by so little I think I may have damaged her car trying to get out of the way when she hit my hand ...
I just don't want to be responsible for damages she may claim from her actions and my attempt to avoid them ??
It is a matter of time before you meet or hopefully see her [ first ] again IMO ..

Brizburk

I was not implying I thought you hitting the car was wrong [whether it is or not ] but I think it may have been omitted in the story from your attempt to report .
I might have mentioned she missed by so little I think I may have damaged her car trying to get out of the way when she hit my hand ...
I just don't want to be responsible for damages she may claim from her actions and my attempt to avoid them ??
It is a matter of time before you meet or hopefully see her [ first ] again IMO ..
Ah, I see your point. Yea I wasn't really thinking like that, was angry. I was shaking after and was almost late to work because I didn't want to drive while shaken up. I hope she apologizes for being so angry. I could take the high road and apologize for hitting her car, but I'm not sorry, human vs car, car always wins. I see it often at work (I work at a trauma center).

DuaneV

This is what I say to people in situations like this:

Would you rather be right and dead or have your pride hurt and be alive?

If you're crossing the street off a crosswalk you can't expect people to watch out for you. There are a LOT of things that can distract a driver and the fact is you can't always see everything when you're driving. If you're WALKING down the road, move the **** over and be walking AGAINST traffic so you can see oncoming cars. If you're walking down the road WITH traffic, you're putting your life at risk.

Brizburk

This is what I say to people in situations like this:

Would you rather be right and dead or have your pride hurt and be alive?

If you're crossing the street off a crosswalk you can't expect people to watch out for you. There are a LOT of things that can distract a driver and the fact is you can't always see everything when you're driving. If you're WALKING down the road, move the **** over and be walking AGAINST traffic so you can see oncoming cars. If you're walking down the road WITH traffic, you're putting your life at risk.
Like I said there's a ton of construction and sidewalks are incomplete. Parking extremely limited, parking on both sides of the street makes it dilifficult for even a single car to pass. This is a residential street, not much traffic other then construction and people who live there.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
Replies
Views
bankruptjojo
Replies
Views
Iron waffle
Replies
Views