When and how des everybody wean their fry off live foods?

BETTASCAPESUK

My koi fry are just about 4 weeks old and I managed to get them to transition from live BBS to frozen BBS, chopped up bloodworms and Repashy spawn & grow gel food in cube form which I didn't think they would take to so soon but they all seem to getting big bellies with every feed so it seems to be going well so far.

I will keep them on this mix for the next month I reckon but I'm not sure when to introduce pellets? Any suggestions?

Attachments

• SNOW_20220120_081514_509.jpg
    SNOW_20220120_081514_509.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 9
  • SNOW_20220120_081425_364.jpg
    SNOW_20220120_081425_364.jpg
    266.9 KB · Views: 9

BigManAquatics

With my gudgeon fry i didn't introduce pellets til it looked like their mouths were big enough to at least have a chance at handling them.

BETTASCAPESUK

With my gudgeon fry i didn't introduce pellets til it looked like their mouths were big enough to at least have a chance at handling them.
That's my idea too as they are not like gel food. I think I will leave it until they are 2 or 3 months old and they should be big enough then

Flyfisha

I add a little dry food in the first week of feeding live baby brine shrimp . New life spectrum sell fry food that is as small as talcum powder. / dust.

As the weeks go by I am adding dry dust to the tank before the brine shrimp. I add the dust in the minutes it takes to decant the bb.

Eventually they just don’t get the bb.

Well before 3 months all fish should be eating pellets that are crushed to the size of sand. A mortar and pestle is ok for a couple of tanks. When you have dozens of fry invest in a new pepper grinder.
image.jpg. A mix of any size and any brand of pellets is in my opinion an essential part of raising fry.

Should you be raising a species that has difficulty converting to dust use a mortar and pestle to grind live baby brine into a paste with a little dust mixed in.

Shops will refuse to take fish that don’t eat dry foods.
You must train fry early and while they are young.

BETTASCAPESUK

I add a little dry food in the first week of feeding live baby brine shrimp . New life spectrum sell fry food that is as small as talcum powder. / dust.

As the weeks go by I am adding dry dust to the tank before the brine shrimp. I add the dust in the minutes it takes to decant the bb.

Eventually they just don’t get the bb.

Well before 3 months all fish should be eating pellets that are crushed to the size of sand. A mortar and pestle is ok for a couple of tanks. When you have dozens of fry invest in a new pepper grinder.
image.jpg. A mix of any size and any brand of pellets is in my opinion an essential part of raising fry.

Should you be raising a species that has difficulty converting to dust use a mortar and pestle to grind live baby brine into a paste with a little dust mixed in.

Shops will refuse to take fish that don’t eat dry foods.
You must train fry early and while they are young.
You are correct - I just crushed some fluval bug bites into dust and some of the fry are going after the particles already. Might have to not give them anymore until tonight and repeat. The last thing I want it for them to rely only on frozen foods.

coralbandit

Golden pearls for the win .
I mix them with my live BBS after the first week
GP comes in a variety of size from 50-800 micron [50micron is dust].
I start my rams on 100 micron.
Golden Pearls 50-100 Micron

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Wendigoblue
Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
Replies
Views
Kribensis27