When adding schooling fish, is it better to add 3 at a time or not break up the school?

bogmummy

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'm planning on doing cpds in a 10 gallon, and I was just wondering if throwing them all at once would upset the cycle. What do I do with the other fish after I add some? I don't think my store is ever going to get around to ordering them for me so I might have to buy online.

AquaticQueen

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Maybe add them little by little. Is you can't get them in store, order 3, wait a couple weeks for the ammonia to settle, add three more and so on depending on how many you plan on getting. CPDs don't produce a lot ammonia so adding 3 at a time wouldn't be a problem.

DuaneV

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If youve cycled the tank properly, adding 6 young CPDs at once will be better than adding 3 at a time then having to quarantine the others for 4-6 weeks between stocking.

JettsPapa

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I agree with DuaneV. Cpd's are so small that adding 6 or more at a time shouldn't be a problem. How many are you planning on for the total?

OP
bogmummy

bogmummy

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
It's just a 10 gallon so I'm thinking 6 or 8. Might start with 6 and see if I can breed them, and sell the ones I don't need.
JettsPapa said:
I agree with DuaneV. Cpd's are so small that adding 6 or more at a time shouldn't be a problem. How many are you planning on for the total?

flyinGourami

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Well, its really about how much you feed the fish. If there are any existing fish, just slightly increase feedings SLOWLY so that your filter can handle it and when you add the danios this makes sure that your tank can handle it. Be careful, and since the danios will probably still poop even if you don't feed them, I would just feed less than before when you add them. Then, the tank can definetely handle the load. However, again, do this slowly and be very careful.

saltwater60

Well Known
Reaction score
If your tank is properly cycled I don’t see an issue. Even if the tank isn’t cycled if your willing to test and prepared to do at times daily water changes I don’t see an issue either.
just a heads up there have been multiple reports of 75% fish loss on these guys. No one is really sure what the cause is but they are a hot commodity right now and inbreeding is suspected.
I just bought 6 a few weeks ago and I have a 100% survival rate. That’s rare but my LFS is very reputable and I associate my success with them. They have tanks upon tanks in the basement and I know sensitive fish they place in the basement QT for a while. I know they do it with neon tetras.

OP
bogmummy

bogmummy

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
saltwater60 said:
If your tank is properly cycled I don’t see an issue. Even if the tank isn’t cycled if your willing to test and prepared to do at times daily water changes I don’t see an issue either.
just a heads up there have been multiple reports of 75% fish loss on these guys. No one is really sure what the cause is but they are a hot commodity right now and inbreeding is suspected.
I just bought 6 a few weeks ago and I have a 100% survival rate. That’s rare but my LFS is very reputable and I associate my success with them. They have tanks upon tanks in the basement and I know sensitive fish they place in the basement QT for a while. I know they do it with neon tetras.
Aww, that's sad. I knew these guys were delicate but wow. Let's hope their future generations will be a little tougher.

New Threads