When a Newbie Knows more...

1. HitchHiker Member Member

Some background, I am got a new 55 gal tank for Christmas and I have been reading/studying about how to do a proper start up of my new tank for about a week or more. In now way am I an expert or even consider myself to knowledgeable on the subject. That being said, I am really getting tired of people basically telling me that all I need to do is fill the tank and drop the fish in.

I used to have a couple of tanks for a few years when I was a preteen, and even then I knew doing that wasn't the right way. Now that I know about Cycling the tank, water testing and and proper filtration, a lot mysteries are now understood.

Anyway enough ranting for one day, I just had to get that off my chest, before I totally blew up at the next person that tells me that I just needed to drop them or that they never did that and had fish live for years.

2. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Amen.
    My fishstore theories:
    :;sh They just don't know any better -or-
    >:D Dead fish = more sales. Sales of weekly bacterial supplements like Cycle = more sales. Ignorant customers = more sales

3. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

:;nw

4. jgon_ Well Known Member Member

Welcome to FL! Side note...you have the best username and avatar on the forum. :)
    (absurdly huge Douglas Adams fan here)

5. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

Couldn't agree more!!! What a great rant to Welcome you to Fishlore on! :;hf

Congrats on the new tank! What kind of fishies are you thinking about? :)

6. Tony G. Fishlore VIP Member

LOL its good to rant :) you worded it great as well. :;th

7. HitchHiker Member Member

iloveengl

I have been scoping out the LFS to see what they carry I really haven't desided on anything yet, I know that I want to have a community tank and as this the largest that I have own my mind is still reeling with the possibilities. I know that I already suffer from MTS, I don't think that my wife knows just what she has done in letting me have this tank.

8. Beth1965 Well Known Member Member

Well, at least you should stock the tank you have now before you go out for another tank :)

9. Tigerfishy Well Known Member Member

Welcome, and totally agree with your rant, that happened to me when I started too...
    I started with one tank, and within 6 months I have 4, I look forward to your future posts beginning "I was bad" or "look what I just bought" :giggle:. Just promise to get us some pics when you're all stocked up :)

10. Red1313 Fishlore VIP Member

Here Here! Lol
    Welcome to fishlore, I totally understand the need to Rant :p

11. Tavel Well Known Member Member

haha, people are ridiculous sometimes. I "adopted" my first tank (75g) and had no idea how to take care of fish, and couldn't get a hold of the owners either...it's a good thing though!

I did my research, like you, and realized they did everything wrong!

People say fish keeping's SO hard because the fish always die. "I clean the tank out with dish soap every month but they still die!"

:eek:

(/\ my actual expression)

12. taffy Initiate Member

couldnt agree more just because your new to the site they think you know nothing so good for you rant on

13. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Hi, taffy, welcome to fishlore!

Most of the new members who post here are new to fishkeeping and are trying to get their tanks out of hot water. Others are new and want to learn how to set up their tanks. Or they followed the advice of a pet store employee who didn't know the proper way to set up a tank. I got my start here that way. :)

When we mention the nitrogen cycle to a new member, we certainly don't mean to offend. It's just that the cycle is so important to fishkeeping, we want to make sure people have a good understanding of it.

We also welcome experienced fishkeepers with open arms, and certainly don't mean to condescend.

14. taffy Initiate Member

hi, meenu' point taken dont mean to upset anyone either, thats what we're all here for i learn all the time, but just some times u just have to say somthing or burst but i didnt start this post just agreed with it but i agree wwe should be here to learn ande help if we can so i,ll wish u and every other member good luck with thier project,s merry xmas and good thing's for the new year (taffy)

15. mosin360 Well Known Member Member

Let's be honest, the information about fish keeping has exploded in the last 10-20years. People who did the hobby back before the internet, before the books, before the science did a lot of trial and error. That's how I did it as a kid and thats how my girlfriends parents have done it as well.

So telling these people that there is a proper way of doing it now could ruffle some feathers or they could simply not believe it. And yes, I'm sure there are a ton of employees at LFS that simply don't know or don't care as it's just a job.

16. Beeker Well Known Member Member

Awesome rant!
    Welcome to fishlore!
    I look forward to seeing your tank!