Whay kind of algae is this and why is it growing so fast?

Amazoniantanklvr

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Lights are on for 10hrs a day (hasent caused any blooms or lots of algae)
My bio load is very low.
Tank size: 36 bow
A: 0
Ni: 0
Na: 5-20 (usu. about 10)

Will get a pic in a sec.

Thanks in advance.

I get this much in 3 days!! Will otos eat it? I was planing on getting some on tuesday. The tank has ben set up for 6 months.

Attachments

pagoda

Well Known
Reaction score
That looks suspiciously like diatoms....a right royal pain in the aquarists backside.....usually found in new aquariums during cycle process and/or when there are high silicate levels

OP
Amazoniantanklvr

Amazoniantanklvr

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I thought that it was datoms at first too but I have no idea what could have crashed my cycle. What causes silicate (what is that?) levels to rise?
Thanks for the feedback.

pagoda

Well Known
Reaction score
Silicate can be in a lot of things...such as substrate & tap water. Usually a diatom outburst is fairly shortlived if very annoying, you can scrape it off the glass and plants etc during water changes and carefully rinse your fitler media too and get rid of the brown slime which will help control it. It has a habit of arriving without warning and leaving overnight....having lights on too long can sometimes kickstart it.

OP
Amazoniantanklvr

Amazoniantanklvr

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
This is really bad but, I haven't done a PWC in a while (super lightly stocked). I don't know what could have given off silicate. The lights were on for 11hrs so I did reduce the time. I have live plants so I need some light.

pagoda

Well Known
Reaction score
Try to max lighting to 8 hours, that will not hurt the plants at all. The good part about diatoms is that unlike the hard green algae that can be found on the glass and plants etc, the diatoms can be wiped away with a sponge.

Keep the lighting up times down, water changes at least once maybe twice a week, clean off infestations gently with a sponge or a face flannel (unused of course) and gently rince your filter media in the used tank water each water change to get rid of the brown diatom slime and you should see the back of it in a week or two

You might want to check your tap water silicate level with your water company as it is often present in the water, a wat around a repeat of diatom is to use bottled water. Your water company should give you the tap water "contents" either via phone or email if not on their website.

OP
Amazoniantanklvr

Amazoniantanklvr

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ok, I'll bring my time down. Will email wster company. I have a home-made algae magnet so I will use that. I just test my water right now to see if I need to do a water change. I do rince my media every 6-10 days.

New Threads