Funny What's Your Unmet Need In The Hobby?

AngelsAbove

Time for some wacky discussion I hope... Let's discuss your deepest most darkest desires!

Your ''unmet need'' could be a new kind of filtration system, or type of lighting, or substrate, or special food, or even a nonexistent breed of fish. It can be as niche or strange as your imagination will allow! It could be a fish tank waterbed or portable shrimp jar for god's sake! It can also be as serious as you'd like... anything is welcome!

I'll start... for me, I want some different varieties of sunfish. Its might sound strange, but sunfish are so beautiful and have so much color. I imagine they have some potential! I really love their look, like fin shape and head style. I'd love to see some varieties with different patterns and colors someday, like discus do! I have no idea how long it'd take to develop new varieties but maybe when I'm old and have nothing to do I might try, lol. (Anyone know how long ago we started with discus?? )

So what's your fishy fantasy? Please share!

MD_Plants

What I really desire is... unlimited substrate of my choice. That stuff gets expensive!!

That or access to any plants for free

Tony M

Can anybody out there talk my wife into a 125????

MissNoodle

Space. More space and infinite bank account to have as many tanks possible

Basil

Can anybody out there talk my wife into a 125????
I’ll talk your wife into it if likewise, you can convince my husband lol!

AngelsAbove

I’ll talk your wife into it if likewise, you can convince my husband lol!
Maybe you both should just get together! okay okay maybe not...

Basil

More time. I always feel I need an extra day in my week. No, make that an extra 2 days. Non working days of course!

StarGirl

Water that didn't need to be changed... Just refilled from evaporation. Faster growing plants.

RyanC14

I want my cherry shrimp colony to actually start multiplying, they haven't bred at all yet :/

EbiAqua

My unmet need is having all the nice Japanese and Euro brands like Aquascaper available in the US...

smee82

Water that didn't need to be changed... Just refilled from evaporation. Faster growing plants.

Getting them to grow faster is easy I need mine to slow down.

I do a trim and a few days later it looks nice and beautiful but a couple of week after that it needs another trim

Dch48

I would want two things. The ability to have as big a tank as I want. I am limited to a weight of about 40 lbs. for a tank because there is no room for a proper stand so dressers and entertainment centers have to suffice. I would really like to have a 75 gallon.
The second thing I would want is for all the fish I like and would want to have to just get along. Compatibility issues limit us so much. I love Tiger Barbs but they are just antisocial jerks. I would love to be able to have more than one Betta in a tank. I have always liked Auratus Cichlids but they are worse than Tiger Barbs. Just a few examples.

Mongo75

Ok, let's go fantasy

I would want an Amazon grotto. Something that would be in the range of 20,000 gallons, circling a room of about 2000 sqft, with a retractable cover, offering actual sunlight as well as interior lighting, for cloudy days. Something like you would find at a commercial aquarium like Sea World for example.

Stocking would be broken up into isolated areas that would be comparable with whatever water conditions are required by the flora and fauna found in different regions. Fish, inverts, amphibians, plants, and anything else not mammalian or avian.

Then I would have to be independent wealthy in order to maintain such an ecosystem.

Of course that ain't gonna happen, so I would settle for two 200-250g setups and dedicate one to South American cichlids and the other to Angels.

SM1199

A greater veterinary understanding of fish diseases and treatment. With mammals, it's pretty straightforward - don't give your dog chocolate, grab some medicated cleaner for that ear infection, not much is super deadly besides very bad trauma or age-related organ failure/massive tumors. With fish, it's much more vague - dropsy? TB? Who knows? Can't find out until it (almost certainly) dies and you can look at it under a microscope. Fish bumped a rock the wrong way, now it's got a stubborn fungal infection taking over its whole body. Very few medications are available and usually not well-tested or understood.

Crispii

More large size aquariums for me.

AngelsAbove

Ok, let's go fantasy

I would want an Amazon grotto. Something that would be in the range of 20,000 gallons, circling a room of about 2000 sqft, with a retractable cover, offering actual sunlight as well as interior lighting, for cloudy days. Something like you would find at a commercial aquarium like Sea World for example.

Stocking would be broken up into isolated areas that would be comparable with whatever water conditions are required by the flora and fauna found in different regions. Fish, inverts, amphibians, plants, and anything else not mammalian or avian.

Then I would have to be independent wealthy in order to maintain such an ecosystem.

Of course that ain't gonna happen, so I would settle for two 200-250g setups and dedicate one to South American cichlids and the other to Angels.
I've always had the dream of having a tropical swimming pond full of fish... and snorkeling in it... maybe when I make the next Amazon or Google I'll got one, hahaha

StarGirl

Getting them to grow faster is easy I need mine to slow down.

I do a trim and a few days later it looks nice and beautiful but a couple of week after that it needs another trim
Mine are only 4 months in.....I'll get there....someday.

Sheldon13

I love puffers more than any other fish. Especially porcupine puffers. One thing I’ve always thought about them is that they look like little helicopters in the water. So my wish is for a helicopter/puffer hybrid. It would have circular rotating fins like the blades of a helicopter.

Elkwatcher

I have a 90 gallon empty in the basement for 5yrs that I'd love to bring upstairs, but I have to shore the floor up first. Would have a pair of King Kong Parrots in a heartbeat.

johnbirg

An aquarium big enough to scuba dive in .

joemonkeaquat

Being able to shrink super tiny and explore my tanks.

nikm128

Stuff is too expensive, I probably could have bought a car by now with the amount of money it took to just setup a handful of tanks

omaxem

I'd love to see all the extinct types of fish/marine life that used to be. I mean... Dunkleosteus Come on! Who could pass on that? ( Placoderms in general must have looked insane ) But also Ichtyosaurs, or the giant filter-feeding fish from before whales. Or if I got to go REAL far, to see the ocean around the time of the Cambrian Explosion, with stuff like Opabinia or Anomalocaris.

FancyBubbles

Living in a big house that could fit a custom tank as big as a whole room with freshwater creatures. Such as 12+ corys, probably 50 ghost shrimp, etc really any fish that could be housed together.

Another thing is somehow a type of motor or whatever sitting at the bottom of my tank, that would churn the sand very gently and suck up the debris, uneaten food, etc and not the sand.

But for real when I'm living in a big house I'm going to get probably a 100-200 gallon aquarium. That's on my wishlist.

Elkwatcher

Living in a big house that could fit a custom tank as big as a whole room with freshwater creatures. Such as 12+ corys, probably 50 ghost shrimp, etc really any fish that could be housed together.

Another thing is somehow a type of motor or whatever sitting at the bottom of my tank, that would churn the sand very gently and suck up the debris, uneaten food, etc and not the sand.

But for real when I'm living in a big house I'm going to get probably a 100-200 gallon aquarium. That's on my wishlist.

FancyBubbles....you mean like this!

FancyBubbles

Elkwatcher

YES

jinjerJOSH22

Nano Arowana, actually all large fish as nano fish. Stop needing space fish!

pagoda

In my dreams I have beautiful big aquariums with lots of exotic fish happily swimming around whilst I relax on a reclining chair in the middle of the room......

In reality is a room so full of boxes & stuff that I really need to take out to the storage sheds in the back garden which would then be my aquarium room, with the obligatory reclining chair (currently buried under said boxes & stuff) in the middle of the room surrounded by aquariums with lots of exotic fish happily swimming around

So instead I have three aquariums, with lots of happy & healthy exotic fish.......surrounding my bed....

Reclining - yes
Surrounded by aquariums - yes
Lots of exotic fish happily swimming around - yes

Just the wrong room

Bry

Honestly, my fishie dreams are all achievable in reality, I am just not at a point in my life to do it. I rent so it makes them currently impossible.
I dream of a koi pond filled with different colored butterfly koi and a big pleco of some sort.
I dream of a 100+ gallon saltwater reef tank with a black lionfish.
I dream of a stingray aquarium, fresh or salt, I just want a stingray.
UNREALISTICALLY!! I would love to have a room where the walls are an aquarium. OR Having an aquarium on my ceiling (or huge aquarium on the second floor I could see on the first) above my bed so I can watch the fish while I fall asleep.

AJE

Unlimited money

abbytherookiehuman

The exact answers for exactly how much of exactly what product I need for my tank

Free shipping

Cheap but good quality substrate

grantm91

My unmet need is having all the nice Japanese and Euro brands like Aquascaper available in the US...

Mine is having as much readily available stuff as the US has as I’m uk lol. That and the crazy things like Macna the frag swap and shows.

Last Triumph

1) Constant readout device that shows Amonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, PH, Temp, GH and KH levels continuously.

2) Inline heater that is RELIABLE with variable output so it maintains constant temp - i.e it's not on or off. Oh, and reliable. Failure not an option. Engineered and assembled in Germany, not China. Yes, I'll pay.

3) LED light units with LOTS and LOTS and LOTS of pink/red/blue spectrum that gives the same light spread of tubes and reflectors without the single light source shadows that LEDs typically create and with an optional hood/cover to prevent light spillage reflection from the water or tank covers.

AaronB

Better aquarium stands and furniture. It seems the stuff I find is really cheap and one drop of water the thing will collapse or the piece is really nice and pretty but doesn't offer any storage options.

LDan

Betta fish that actually get along! Males or females, doesn't matter. I'd love a tank full of beautiful multicolored bettas <3 I know about sororities but they fail a lot of the time

Ejcsw

Mine too please
First you need to tell us why she objects. And then in trun I need to talke to my hubby.

RHONDA PIMENTEL

Being a goldfish lover, I would love a species of dwarf goldies. Then I wouldn't need a 125gal for 3 fish.

Andy S

Mine is fairly simple really, I would like water that comes out of my tap to have a TDS reading of less than 4,600 - so high that a normal domestic RO/DI system will not work. I would like to not have to travel a mile just to get water for the weekly water change.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
mrsP
Replies
Views
Petchratn
Replies
Views
Rev
Replies
Views
kanzekatores

Random Great Thread

Know of a great thread on Fishlore that should be on this list? Submit the thread link here:
Great threads on Fishlore

Latest Aquarium Threads

Top Bottom