What's your ride-or-die algae eater?

Ride-or-die algae eater?

• Total voters
redmare
I feel like every fishkeeper has their favourite algae eater, that they keep in as many of their tanks as possible and recommend to all their friends. Mine is the bristlenose pleco, I have two in different tanks and those two are just absolutely algae free! Excellent little buddies. What's yours??

Advertisement
Cue
Nerites by far. Even the most aggressive fish I’ve housed them with hasn’t had problems with them, they come in so many pretty colors and patterns, and they’re kind of cheeky little buggers sometimes.

Shrimp would be second, mostly just because I really like shrimp in general.

CHJ
My go to is a really nice but cheap glass scrubber from Amazon. The latest one I got is the best yet.

For a fish that will eradicate algae? Rhino pleco! Nothing cleans a tank faster. If you have a smaller tank you will have to arrange a rental/exchange program with your LFS.

On that note: I found the java in my equis breeder was full of hair algae (Nooooooo!). Instead of tossing it into the worm bin, I pitched it in the tank with the eaters, because why not.
Well they have mowed it very nicely. They are The Eaters they will eat anything.

StarGirl
My pleco eats wood on the log and food I give her. She lazy. My nerites clean the glass. My SAE clean house! I have not had a hair of algae in my 55 since I have had them. Sad they get big and can't have them in every size tank.

Advertisement
SixThreeOh
mimo91088
I voted for nerites. But bristlenose are a close 2nd place for me.

KingOscar
Mudminnow
If my tank is big enough for them, I vote Siamese Algae Eaters. I've been keeping them in various tanks for about 20 years. They are fun to keep in their own right, and they do a great job eating most kinds of algae.

If my tank is smaller, I vote Amano Shrimp with snails ("pest" snails or nerites). This combo works well, and covers most algae types.

SotaAquatics
Nerites make your tank sparkle. Nothing compares to keeping glass, rocks, plant leaves clean. The only downside to a nerite is when they decide to bedazzle your tank.

Advertisement
redmare
Nerites by far. Even the most aggressive fish I’ve housed them with hasn’t had problems with them, they come in so many pretty colors and patterns, and they’re kind of cheeky little buggers sometimes.

Shrimp would be second, mostly just because I really like shrimp in general.
I also love nerites! They live in all my tanks... except my oscar tank.

StarGirl
I have nerites in all my tanks too. They don't get my plants as well as the sae and pest snails. My horned nerites travel the vals pretty good though but they are smaller.

mimo91088
I currently have 2 nerites, Benjamin and Frederik. They usually live in 1 tank, but they earn frequent flier miles traveling to my other 6 when the glass gets too dirty. They usually have the job done in a day!

MacZ
My hand and a scraper.

If I want aufwuchs eaters I keep them as the main attraction in a dedicated tank.

CHJ
Florida Flag fish are fun to watch eat due to how fast their mouths move.
They also eat most algae including BBA.
To keep a whole tank clean you would need a herd of them though.

Advertisement
TClare
I voted for ramshorns, I have some in all my tanks, though only the larger ones survive with the bigger cichlids (I keep replacing them and sometimes add small ones for food). I do not think nerites would do well in my very soft water. The ramshorns' shells go white after a while, but they breed quickly. My big planted tank has both ramshorns and otocinclus. The ramshorns came originally with plants and I did not get the otos specifically to clean algae, but I think they do probably help to keep the plants algae free. I hardly ever have to clean the front glass on that tank, perhaps because it does not receive any natural daylight, or maybe the plants compete fo nutrients. However, the rocks and branches have visible green algae on them and there is evidently enough to feed the otos. For my other tanks the scraper is the main algae cleaner, though the snails help a bit. I have one bn pleco, but only rarely see it on the glass, it eats wood mainly.

Davidh9054
Although I really don’t get them specifically for eating algae I love plecos. I have a blue eyed lemon pleco now. I love my twig catfish too but he doesn’t really eat too much algae he usually stays in the same area most of the time.

Mii
Nerites are my "recommend to everyone", otos are my "I loge you but you're a bit harder to keep".

John58ford
I wish I could vote twice. My every tank ride or die are the ramshorns since they fit anywhere and are prolific=cheap and sustainable.

They really don't cut back any of the string/fibrous algae nearly as good as the amano though, in the tanks where amano are appropriate they are comparable in value. Surprising no one has chosen them as number 1.

I have yet to try a hillstream but can put my top choices against the rest of the list literally side by side and stand by the choices through experience. I also light my tanks 12 hours a day and only scrape glass every 3-5 months, so I think I've about found the balance with algae controllers.

skar

20210511_150852.jpg
Love this fish !! Cleaning green algea like nothing else !

Thunder_o_b
As far as doing the job it would be amano shrimp.
But my favorite is Beast. He is somewhere around 15 years old.

Attachments

• _MG_7057 copy.jpg
    _MG_7057 copy.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 22

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
JoyToTheFishes
Replies
Views
AbsurdAj
Replies