What's Your Pick?

Discussion in 'Polls' started by Arwen, Apr 9, 2017.

?

What's the most you enjoy about fish keeping?

1. Feeding

26.7%
  2. Bagging a new fish home

46.7%
  3. Water change

13.3%
  4. Modifying filtration

6.7%
  5. Breeding

40.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Arwen

Arwen New Member Member

Hi everyone, trying a fresh poll below. Would like to hear everyone's valuable opinions. Looking forward to hear from everyone soon, thanks for the poll!

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  2. Ed204

Ed204 Well Known Member Member

I enjoy feeding and bringing new fish home the most.

I always feel excited when I bring home a new fish home and seeing them color up after bringing the home is the best.

However, I enjoy feeding the most because I get to do it everyday and since I have fish like Silver Dollars, Severums and other cichlids feeding is always started with a splash and ends up with the the lid very wet.

3. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

I enjoy feeding. Most of my fish eat from my hand and quite a few have learnt simple tricks so feeding is always fun. I also make my own fish food for them.

Breeding is the other one I enjoy. Raising fish from eggs to big fish that can be let out in the pond or tank is really rewarding.

Bringing new fish home stresses me out trying to make sure they're not stressed.

I hate doing water changes though I still do them daily on most of my tanks

4. allllien

allllien Well Known Member Member

I like sitting and watching them best, often when feeding them :) But also breeding and watching the fry grow and getting their colors. I also hate doing water changes but have my tanks going well with only doing a large water change about once a month or even every few months (I do it more often in my fry tanks though). I also love the search of looking for something special when I have a quarantine tank set up for new fish.

5. Zahc

Zahc Well Known Member Member

I love doing water changes, and for me, breeding and raising fry is the most rewarding part of the hobby.

6. B

Betrayer Well Known Member Member

I chose feeding, but I actually enjoy sitting and observing my tank any time (not just at feeding time, although that is fun).

I also love reading and learning more about fish care-- types of fish, plants, how to improve my tank.

7. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_b Fishlore VIP Member

Breeding is the only one your list that I checked. These are primary reasons I keep aquariums:

1. The fascination in watching things aquatic.

2. Growing aquatic plants.

3. And this is no surprise to those that have been here a while, Photography :)

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
  8. n

notmyfirstname123 Valued Member Member

apparently I'm weird I love doing my water changes and all the maintenance to my tanks. all of the science and just the fact that I am creating the perfect environment for my little fishy friends :D

9. allllien

allllien Well Known Member Member

I'm guessing you dont have a bad back lol :D

10. grantm91

grantm91 Fishlore VIP Member

Peeking round the corner to see what the fish are doing when they think no one is watching

11. n

notmyfirstname123 Valued Member Member

Nope Fortunately I am in relatively good shape :p However, being 25 with a 3 year old who has fallen in love with fish and has her own tank its only a matter of time before it becomes more of a chore :D

I should be more specific and say snails and shrimp not fish per se haha. She has a deep love for my golf ball sized mystery snail and she, at three years old, talked my wife into letting her get a ten gallon with shrimps and snail hahaha

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2017
  12. NavigatorBlack

NavigatorBlack Fishlore VIP Member

It kind of runs together. I like researching how to breed a fish, and then arranging a tank to give the fish what it needs. So that involves water changing, filtration, choosing a proper diet, aquascaping - almost all the things above feed into getting the fish to breed, getting the fry to be able to hatch and then raising them.
    I love watching the colours appear on growing juvenile fish. It's always wonderful to see how tiny brown fish transform into beautiful copies of their parents. I never get sick of it but it doesn't happen by magic and I enjoy the process of letting it happen.

I also like breeding fish that may not be stunners, but that have never been bred in captivity before. I've managed a few of those, and the researching, planning and setting up is fun.

13. OP
    OP
    Arwen

Arwen New Member Member

Thanks for the poll, for me I enjoy meddling with the filtration every now & then. Switching medias, placement of the medias in different compartments. It sounds kind of silly but I guess it's part & parcel for me.

I'm found guilty for the bagging new fish portion, biggest culprit will be me. Fortunately I'm confine to a single 200 gallon tank so anything that grows beyond the tank doesn't work for me. That's the good part actually... lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice