What's Your Personal Suggestion For Beginner Fish/inverts?

Nerdicine

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I've been on the hobby of freshwater for a few years now and with it has come a lot of ups and downs. I've always had interest in saltwater however I've also been pushed away from it because all you hear about is how difficult it is. When I started with freshwater I had a betta and then I just kept getting more and more fish and buying bigger and bigger tanks that would accommodate all the fish but I want to do it the right way this time. Instead of getting a tank set up and THEN deciding what I want to get, I'd rather have a fish in mind and then start setting it up for that fish or community specifically. I want to know what kind of community or fish would be good for a beginner. Something a little more forgiving to mistakes.

I can't accommodate any enormous tanks, it would have to be 50 gallons or under, but I do want to be space concious as I currently have a small apartment that I share with my boyfriend and a roommate. We currently have a 29 gallon freshwater tank as well that takes up a little bit of space.

Really any suggestions would be appreciated. I'd love to hear a variety of ideas and do as much research as I can. I'd like to know what you've had luck with, what you might disagree with that other people find easy for beginners, and any other tips that you've learned being an aquarist.

Jesterrace

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Nerdicine said:
I've been on the hobby of freshwater for a few years now and with it has come a lot of ups and downs. I've always had interest in saltwater however I've also been pushed away from it because all you hear about is how difficult it is. When I started with freshwater I had a betta and then I just kept getting more and more fish and buying bigger and bigger tanks that would accommodate all the fish but I want to do it the right way this time. Instead of getting a tank set up and THEN deciding what I want to get, I'd rather have a fish in mind and then start setting it up for that fish or community specifically. I want to know what kind of community or fish would be good for a beginner. Something a little more forgiving to mistakes.

I can't accommodate any enormous tanks, it would have to be 50 gallons or under, but I do want to be space concious as I currently have a small apartment that I share with my boyfriend and a roommate. We currently have a 29 gallon freshwater tank as well that takes up a little bit of space.

Really any suggestions would be appreciated. I'd love to hear a variety of ideas and do as much research as I can. I'd like to know what you've had luck with, what you might disagree with that other people find easy for beginners, and any other tips that you've learned being an aquarist.
The people who claim how difficult it is generally have no experience with saltwater. Saltwater is as difficult or easy as you make it. If you want a 100 plus gallon tank loaded with angel fish, tangs, corals, etc. then yes it can be daunting. If you can get by with just a few small fish and can go without corals for a while then you can setup something like a 20 gallon long which will be just slightly more work than a well stocked 20-30 gallon freshwater tank.

A Biocube is convenient as it comes with just about all of the mechanical equipment minus a powerhead/wavemaker and tankheater and takes up a relatively small footprint in terms of space. The downside is that it is limited on useable space for fish. Personally I would go with either a 20 Gallon Long or 40 Breeder if you are wanting to maximize useable space for your fish. This video shows the cost of setting up a 20 Long FOWLR (Fish Only With Live Rock). The only thing it forget was 10-20lbs of sand substrate and a Digital Thermometer:

As for fish the following are generally considered easy to care for and won't be a huge temperament issue for you:

Ocellaris (ie Nemo) or Percula Clownfish any variety
Cardinalfish (ie Pajama Cardinalfish)
Royal Gramma Basslet
Orchid Dottyback
Firefish

If you go with a 40 Breeder you could also look into a Pygmy Angel (Dwarf get a bit big, but a Pygmy would work)

TLOP said:
IMO the best beginner fish I would recommend to people are clownfish. My personal favorite are the maroon clownfish.
Maroons get larger and are pretty aggressive, so they do not make good tank mates in a smaller tank (and in some cases larger tanks).

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom