What's Your Opinion On Buying Fish Online?

?

Buying fish online?

1. Yes

89.3%
  2. No

10.7%
  1. F

FishyFishy101 New Member Member

Personally don't think it's really safe for the fish to be exposed to huge amounts of ammonia for days:/

2. James17

James17 Well Known Member Member

A lot of the most reputable places will only ship fish overnight now. I think it's ok, but I won't order fish in the summer it's way too hot here for that.

3. TwoHedWlf

TwoHedWlf Well Known Member Member

Depends where you're getting them from. If you're buying them from an importer/wholesaler then you're cutting out the whole "get dumped into tank in a shop for a few weeks before someone decides to buy them" part. Because they get the exposed to huge amounts of ammonia for days getting to the LFS anyway.

4. Shane Dostie

Shane Dostie Valued Member Member

If you buy online spend a little extra and make sure you're getting them from a good place. Lots of professionals do it in the hobby with success.

5. O

OnTheFly Well Known Member Member

I would agree if my online fish health experience was worse than my local purchases. But that is SO far from reality.

6. JeffK

JeffK Well Known Member Member

These days, I buy fish online almost exclusively. I have 2 Petcos near me and 1 Petsmart. I have never bought from Petsmart and one of the Petcos and probably never will as their tanks always contain dead fish. The one Petco I have bought from is a little better - I can keep their bronze and panda corys, harlequin rasboras, and thicklipped gouramis alive for several years, but that's it. A couple years ago, I bought 4 Praecox rainbows from my Petco. They were all dead within 5 days in a tank that had been established for several years. I did nothing different in my tank, and a week later, I ordered 5 Praecox rainbows on aquabid from a place in Florida (I'm in PA). They were shipped on a Monday, arrived on Wed, and I still have them all today. The same can be said about many of my other fish. Order from a reputable place like trinsfish, aquaticarts, wetspottropicalfish, imperialtropicals and you shouldn't have any problems. If you do, these places will make things right.

7. vikingkirken

vikingkirken Well Known Member Member

Any decent online place will fast the fish for a day or two before shipping, and include ammonia-absorber in the shipping bag. They aren't "exposed to huge amounts of ammonia for days"... and any amount they ARE exposed to, is no different than when they are shipped to a retail store.

8. 13fishy wishes

13fishy wishes Valued Member Member

Aren't the fish sold online super expensive ? I really love guppy and want a pretty one but the shipping is awful !

9. ChromeGeno

ChromeGeno Well Known Member Member

Ikr? In order to ship fish from sites, you'll need to spend much more money than intended from the fish itself to begin the shipping process. Most sites would begin shipping once you have $40 worth of stuff in your cart

10. TwoHedWlf

Not in my experience. Was only $20-30 shipping for a handful of fish. That's the cost of 1 or 2 fish. And shipping in the US is usually even cheaper.

11. MC4RKiller

MC4RKiller Valued Member Member

How do you think your LFS gets fish? Fish are shipped anywhere and wherever offered for sale; its actually less traumatic for them to be shipped to a hobbyist who has a cycled tank waiting on them than to just be dumped into LFS holding tanks.

Pretty much all of my fish are from an online source. You can get any fish you want and of a much higher caliber than you can in most LFS. Im quite honestly disappointed by any LFS I go to because I can just get exactly what I want online. The expense primarily comes from the shipping. However if you figure in the cost of traveling to a LFS or multiple LFS then it honestly isnt much more expensive.

12. 13fishy wishes

Okay not really the places I have looked so far .but I'll keep looking .

13. r

radar Valued Member Member

Better quality and selection for me is worth the shipping and never had a problem with online purchases.

14. toolman

toolman Well Known Member Member

My lfs many times can't get what I want. Ordering online and getting fish shipped straight to you just cuts out their stressful trip to the lfs.

15. JeffK

I believe trinsfish charges $15 for priority shipping (which is what I usually use from them) with no minimum order. Spend $45 ordering from Imperialtropicals and they'll ship priority for free.

16. TwoHedWlf

What kind of prices for shipping are you seeing?

17. LiterallyHydro

LiterallyHydro Well Known Member Member

I remember this being debated whether it's safe for the fish or not. While ordering fish online can certainly pose a risk, even your local fish store must have the fish shipped to them. They have to go through a stressful journey no matter what, but you could arguably cut out the middle-man by having them shipped directly to you.

The primary risk I see remaining would either be extreme weather conditions or getting lost in shipment.

18. 13fishy wishes

$40.00 to $ 60.00 .I just don't want to pay that much

Sorry just asking ....

19. LiterallyHydro

LiterallyHydro Well Known Member Member

I did not mean there is an issue about it being debated a long time ago, sorry if that's what it came off as. I work at a LFS so I get asked about ordering fish online often, as well as people on various forums bringing up the topic.

I don't think you did anything wrong here :p

20. JeffK

I agree, but I think getting lost in shipment is the biggest risk, although it has not yet happened to me. There have been several times I've ordered fish online and they contacted me to say they would not ship due to high temps in either their area or my area. Again, reputable places take all this into consideration.