What's Your Favorite Kind Of Fish?

Vinh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I like carve wood color paint fish on the wall .It is so beautiful ,never die or needed food ,water to survive...
Really want to see my F F ...it is here..
7EB5CA24-17CF-4748-A2B9-EEF65C3EFF56.jpeg
25D71B8C-196F-458F-AE94-8B87D26B41B1.jpeg

A201

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Come on you guys. A thread like this requires pics. My favorite fish today is the Nimbochromis Fuscotaeniatus aka Fusco. It's a blue & red torpedo that adds color & constant movement in my tank. His tankmates probably don't like him as much as i do.
20191023_205316.jpg

Sunflower

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
A201 said:
Come on you guys. A thread like this requires pics. My favorite fish today is the Nimbochromis Fuscotaeniatus aka Fusco. It's a blue & red torpedo that adds color & constant movement in my tank. His tankmates probably don't like him as much as i do.View attachment 630129
Good point. I'm on the computer now so I can't really post pictures but my betta is my profile picture and i have tons of pictures of him in my gallery lol

jinjerJOSH22

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'll try get a picture of mine later, he's my profile pic. However for being such an aggressive fish that he is, he's always been really shy around me.

ThatMikeHill

Valued Member
Reaction score
MissNoodle said:
My farlowella :D

View attachment 630138

Just such a cool fish, and unusual. Its fun trying to find him when he clings to my driftwood. He blends in so well sometimes
That’s cool!
What’s it like? Seems like it’d be a bottom dweller—is it good with other friendly bottom dwellers.
Love to hear more about it. :)

MissNoodle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
ThatMikeHill said:
That’s cool!
What’s it like? Seems like it’d be a bottom dweller—is it good with other friendly bottom dwellers.
Love to hear more about it. :)
Farlowella are related to plecos, and do eat most soft algae like otos... except they are much larger than otos. There're several species of farlowella, also known as twig catfish, mine is a farlowella vittata and he can get up to 9 inches long and live roughly 15 years with good care. They need to be supplemented with vegetables, algae wafers, and other herbivore foods. Maybe a weekly feeding of a protein food but 90% of their diet is vegetation. They can be shy and are easily out competed by other fish for foods, so they have to be watched to be sure they have food enough for them. Theyre peaceful fish, but supposedly mostly inactive (mine is actually quite active, and not overly shy). They do need driftwood, to shelter on, they like thinner branches of driftwood to cling vertically to and rest. Theyre not good swimmers, they move kinda by hopping along the bottom looking for food. They do better with sand in the bottom. Like other catfish, theyre also scaleless and therefore sensitive to meds. These fish are also delicate in that theyre very sensitive to water parameters and swings, large water changes arent really recommended, its best to do more frequent smaller changes with them.
The minimum tank requirement apparently is 20g but after seeing how active mine is and how large they can get potentially, id say 30g min for one.
They can get tangled easily in nets so its not recommended to net them should you need to capture them. Instead, you can reach in and gently grab them as they sit on driftwood--they don't swim away usually. They have rough skin and will fold themselves tight to look like a stick still. But, only handle them if necessary obviously.
You could house it with other farlowella though males may bully one another, its usually not severe. Sexing juveniles is tricky and varies among species.

Basically, its a glorified lazy pleco that looks like a stick.
20191012_061257.jpg

ThatMikeHill

Valued Member
Reaction score
MissNoodle said:
Farlowella are related to plecos, and do eat most soft algae like otos... except they are much larger than otos. There're several species of farlowella, also known as twig catfish, mine is a farlowella vittata and he can get up to 9 inches long and live roughly 15 years with good care. They need to be supplemented with vegetables, algae wafers, and other herbivore foods. Maybe a weekly feeding of a protein food but 90% of their diet is vegetation. They can be shy and are easily out competed by other fish for foods, so they have to be watched to be sure they have food enough for them. Theyre peaceful fish, but supposedly mostly inactive (mine is actually quite active, and not overly shy). They do need driftwood, to shelter on, they like thinner branches of driftwood to cling vertically to and rest. Theyre not good swimmers, they move kinda by hopping along the bottom looking for food. They do better with sand in the bottom. Like other catfish, theyre also scaleless and therefore sensitive to meds. These fish are also delicate in that theyre very sensitive to water parameters and swings, large water changes arent really recommended, its best to do more frequent smaller changes with them.
The minimum tank requirement apparently is 20g but after seeing how active mine is and how large they can get potentially, id say 30g min for one.
They can get tangled easily in nets so its not recommended to net them should you need to capture them. Instead, you can reach in and gently grab them as they sit on driftwood--they don't swim away usually. They have rough skin and will fold themselves tight to look like a stick still. But, only handle them if necessary obviously.
You could house it with other farlowella though males may bully one another, its usually not severe. Sexing juveniles is tricky and varies among species.

Basically, its a glorified lazy pleco that looks like a stick.
View attachment 630213
Thanks!!!! That’s awesome!

RileyMocha

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
For me, it's my betta, Elton. He has far more personality and spunk than any of my other fish. Every time I walk into the room he swims to the from of his tank and does a little dance to say hi (or its because he wants more food but I like to believe it's because he wants to say hi). I swear he can tell me apart from other people because he only does this dance for me. I don't know maybe I'm just crazy

Kevin1962

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Current fave?
Snoop the dwarf puffer. So smart. I once turned the lights on 1.5 hour early and startled her into banging into the glass in fright.
She moped, cast sideways/unapproving looks at me and didn't eat for 2 days.

BillbertBuzzums

Reaction score
My favorite was my old guppy I had named sophy. She was HUGE and a very bland looking yellow. She had about 250 babies before she died (most of which she ate). She gad the most personality of any fish I've owned. She was always so active and happy. Although sadly she died from old age. I only kept one of her babbies. His name is Cory Jr. (Cory was his father). He is the most beautiful guppy I have seen. I have seen many guppies in my time but she and her son have to be my favorite. I wish I had pictures of her before she died. Cory Jr. is very herd to catch a picture of so I don't have one of him either.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom