What's Your Favorite Kind Of Fish?

NC122606

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
potter said:
I used to have 2 dwarf puffers in a 10 gallon for the longest time. They are so cute. But one became more territorial than the other even with a planted tank so I had to give one away. The hardest part was they only take live food and it was hard to find in my area.
Yeah that is the only hard thing about them...
Feeding the is like feeding a reptile.

Platylover

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
angelcraze said:
You have gold tetras too? I have 8 left in a 20 gallon and never knew anyone else that has them!
I dont, but I wish I did. An LFS I used to go to would get them in frequently and I always wanted a school... Just never had the space(even with restocks, they were not compatible with the others!).

I'm jealous you have them though...They are one of my favorites on looks! Do you plan to breed yours?

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Platylover said:
I dont, but I wish I did. An LFS I used to go to would get them in frequently and I always wanted a school... Just never had the space(even with restocks, they were not compatible with the others!).

I'm jealous you have them though...They are one of my favorites on looks! Do you plan to breed yours?
Hmmmmmm. I hadn't planned on it. They are in a permanently QT'd tank due to being exposed to Lymphocystis. But these gold tetras have been very healthy and all the problem fish died off now. Idk, maybe I will! Problem is I'd need a huge school to be in a community tank with my angels since these tetras are so small. They will go after small tetras, not necessarily eat them, but I'd feel better if they were in a group of 30 for my community tanks. Angelfish like to swim after a straggler and the group splits. They are a pain for them that's all.

I got a vid

So in the wild there is a parasite that turns them golden. I believe it's guinane to act as an armour. Tank bred gold tetras will not have this parasite and be silvery with a blueish stripe. The group I bought had one actual gold tetra that was added to the group from another person's tank. Surprisingly the other gold tetras that were silvery have turned gold-ish. It was my goal to see if I could get them to turn golden, so I added snails, bugs and leaves to the tank. I'm not sure it worked like the wild, but they look more gold than they were. Interesting little fish.

My gold tetras are very shy and natural looking. It takes them a bit to come out to eat even, but I love it how they emerge from their java fern hiding places and zip to the surface for food. They don't stay up top like kerri tetras do to feed, instead they stay mid-level and bob up and down to eat. Never had tetras that act this way. The super blue kerri tetras that were with them were like puppy dogs, begging for attention and food, even with one left. Blew my mind how opposite these two species of tetras acted.

Platylover

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
angelcraze said:
Hmmmmmm. I hadn't planned on it. They are in a permanently QT'd tank due to being exposed to Lymphocystis. But these gold tetras have been very healthy and all the problem fish died off now. Idk, maybe I will! Problem is I'd need a huge school to be in a community tank with my angels since these tetras are so small. They will go after small tetras, not necessarily eat them, but I'd feel better if they were in a group of 30 for my community tanks. Angelfish like to swim after a straggler and the group splits. They are a pain for them that's all.

I got a vid

So in the wild there is a parasite that turns them golden. I believe it's guinane to act as an armour. Tank bred gold tetras will not have this parasite and be silvery with a blueish stripe. The group I bought had one actual gold tetra that was added to the group from another person's tank. Surprisingly the other gold tetras that were silvery have turned gold-ish. It was my goal to see if I could get them to turn golden, so I added snails, bugs and leaves to the tank. I'm not sure it worked like the wild, but they look more gold than they were. Interesting little fish.

My gold tetras are very shy and natural looking. It takes them a bit to come out to eat even, but I love it how they emerge from their java fern hiding places and zip to the surface for food. They don't stay up top like kerri tetras do to feed, instead they stay mid-level and bob up and down to eat. Never had tetras that act this way. The super blue kerri tetras that were with them were like puppy dogs, begging for attention and food, even with one left. Blew my mind how opposite these two species of tetras acted.
Awe poor things! To bad they have to be in QT forever! They are so beautiful, would be such fun in a big community.

That is true about the parasite, it’s interesting that yours were able to get more goldish. I’m curious if you keep the tank raised with the wild if eventually they’ll get the parasite. I wonder if it’s transferable by fish.

Haha, they sound fun! So wish I had room for them! Love unique little fish.

Epicoz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I love Plecos something about the way they look and move is so unique. They slither and they always don’t overstay there welcome. I think they are just so unique and intersecting. Specifically green phantoms and vampires are cool I finally got a bristlenose for my 20 a couple months ago and I was not let down.

Aprilamy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Bettas are my favorite due to their curious nature and interest in everything we are doing. Next would be Corydoras for entertaining and bristle nose Pleco for overall cuteness.

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Platylover said:
Awe poor things! To bad they have to be in QT forever! They are so beautiful, would be such fun in a big community.

That is true about the parasite, it’s interesting that yours were able to get more goldish. I’m curious if you keep the tank raised with the wild if eventually they’ll get the parasite. I wonder if it’s transferable by fish.

Haha, they sound fun! So wish I had room for them! Love unique little fish.
Yeah surprisingly they did get more golden. There was one fish that a store employee brought from his tank because it was alone in his. One very gold tetra. A couple others started becoming golden in the store and now they all are a bit golden. Not quite like the one, but def gold nonetheless.

They say the parasite does not live in aquaria. Idk.....

About Lymphocystis, there's not enough info available to know if these tetras are at risk. It could be they are totally safe. I know they are very healthy!

CMB

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Joyceheatherington said:
Betta's are my favorite.
If you don't mind me asking, have you ever had any luck keeping Betta in a community tank? I want to try this, I'm just wondering what other people's experiences are with it.

Feohw

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
CMB said:
If you don't mind me asking, have you ever had any luck keeping Betta in a community tank? I want to try this, I'm just wondering what other people's experiences are with it.
I'm not who you're asking but I can answer with my experience.

With the right betta and the right tankmates it can be done. Every betta I've ever had has been in a community. I make sure they are peaceful by seeing how they react to each other. If they flare at one another in the shop non-stop then they tend to be aggressive. Mine were all quite passive and stopped flaring very quickly.

I've kept mine with harlequin rasbora (the perfect tankmate), neon tetra (generally not recommended due to temperature but mine were fine), amano, vampire, cherry, other neocaridina and caridina shrimp, bolivian rams, ADF, freshwater gobies, banjo catfish, bristlenose, my female was with guppies in a big tank and I kept females in a sorority too. Mine were fine with every single one of them. The only fish they didn't get on with were my pearl gourami (obviously they shouldn't really be with gourami). I had a female in with them as the other sorority members began to die off (they were "rescues" and were quite sick) and there were only two remaining, two females don't work out well. The gourami chased her quite a bit.

CMB

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Feohw said:
I'm not who you're asking but I can answer with my experience.

With the right betta and the right tankmates it can be done. Every betta I've ever had has been in a community. I make sure they are peaceful by seeing how they react to each other. If they flare at one another in the shop non-stop then they tend to be aggressive. Mine were all quite passive and stopped flaring very quickly.

I've kept mine with harlequin rasbora (the perfect tankmate), neon tetra (generally not recommended due to temperature but mine were fine), amano, vampire, cherry, other neocaridina and caridina shrimp, bolivian rams, ADF, freshwater gobies, banjo catfish, bristlenose, my female was with guppies in a big tank and I kept females in a sorority too. Mine were fine with every single one of them. The only fish they didn't get on with were my pearl gourami (obviously they shouldn't really be with gourami). I had a female in with them as the other sorority members began to die off (they were "rescues" and were quite sick) and there were only two remaining, two females don't work out well. The gourami chased her quite a bit.
Thanks, any experienc is really appreciated. I'm trying to do a 10 gallon add and betta tank, and my plan was to do what you mentioned, test and see how much they flair at each other.

Joyceheatherington

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
CMB said:
Hi. First time fish keeper. Started 1 month. So I have a female crowntail Betta and 3 Blue Tetra glofish. The Betta came from a sorority tank at Petco.

It's like the Betta and the Tetra ignore each other now. After having then together for two weeks. We got the Betta last.

Even at first they ignored each other. When there zipping along and there going towards each other get this when they got an inch close to each other they quickly turned the other way. The Betta had never chased the Tetra'ss or vice versa.

CMB

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Joyceheatherington said:
Hi. First time fish keeper. Started 1 month. So I have a female crowntail Betta and 3 Blue Tetra glofish. The Betta came from a sorority tank at Petco.

It's like the Betta and the Tetra ignore each other now. After having then together for two weeks. We got the Betta last.

Even at first they ignored each other. When there zipping along and there going towards each other get this when they got an inch close to each other they quickly turned the other way. The Betta had never chased the Tetra'ss or vice versa.
That sounds perfect, I hope I can find a betta who's that alright with tankmates!

Joyceheatherington

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
CMB said:
That sounds perfect, I hope I can find a betta who's that alright with tankmates!
If you get a female and put it in last shouldn't have a problem. Also if you do that I suggest getting a female Betta from a sorority tank.
(I didnt know Petco had one until I asked a worker their. I love our Petco fish staff!

And a female Betta around the same size. I originally wanted to get a smaller one but they didnt think that was a good idea. Glad to know! And also told me to put as little of their water in your fish tank. Cant remember why but it was a good reason!

CMB

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Joyceheatherington said:
If you get a female and put it in last shouldn't have a problem. Also if you do that I suggest getting a female Betta from a sorority tank.
(I didnt know Petco had one until I asked a worker their. I love our Petco fish staff!

And a female Betta around the same size. I originally wanted to get a smaller one but they didnt think that was a good idea. Glad to know! And also told me to put as little of their water in your fish tank. Cant remember why but it was a good reason!
Thanks, I appreciate the advice! I don't know about a sorority tank at my Petco, all I've ever seen are the betta cups. I've already got the frogs, I've had them for around a week now and they're really starting to settle in, so I think that the tank is about ready for the betta, once I can get to the store. I'll try to get a female, but I think that I'll probably just end up with a shorter finned variety that isn't too aggressive, male or female. I'm hoping that my fish just politely ignore each other and do their own thing.

Lynn78too

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
potter said:
Huge and healthy in comparison with the ones you see at the store lol. They do only get 2"-3" big but once they get to that size and plump up they are really beautiful to look at. Again in comparison to say a mature guppy or WCMM; and of course not compared to say an oscar. I personally love low maintenance and VERY peaceful fish.
Ah, yes. I had 7 of them in a deck pond and they were adorable. I had some that were the natural brown color and some were the yellow/pink color. I almost told the guy to put the brown ones back but then felt horrible knowing that I was basically sending them to their death to be eaten simply because they weren't pretty enough to be pets.

potter

Valued Member
Reaction score
Lynn78too said:
Ah, yes. I had 7 of them in a deck pond and they were adorable. I had some that were the natural brown color and some were the yellow/pink color. I almost told the guy to put the brown ones back but then felt horrible knowing that I was basically sending them to their death to be eaten simply because they weren't pretty enough to be pets.
Yes I've the dark natural colour one too and just like you I felt bad to put him back when they caught him but when we have to catch them in the fall to bring them in, it is very difficult to catch the natural colour one. When I mix babies with the adults, there are no bullying going on. They are so peaceful.

AJ34

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Bettas are my #1 I love my Dwarf Puffer but feeding him snails is a pain some times and please don't judge me but I am hating live plants and algae, lol!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom