What's Your Favorite Kind Of Fish?

SM1199

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
CPDs are my favorite. I think they're really undervalued fish just because they're so small. If they were bigger, I'm sure they would be a lot more popular.

All the reasons I love CPDS:
- I bought mine half-starved and pale brown, and in less than an hour of being in a planted tank they started showing their brilliant colors. Within a week, they were fat and happy.
- Speaking of colors, they have the most gorgeous red/orange fins with black stripes and little gold spots all over their bodies.
- They do not nip fins of their own species or any other species.
- They get along with just about anything that won't eat them. This includes shrimp.
- They're great as their own little group but also can complement a centerpiece fish.
- They shoal, so you get to see amazing group behavior without losing the individuality of the fish. When they're comfy, they go off and explore on their own.
- They can happily live in a 10 gallon on a desk, but will also thrive in a community tank with similar small fish.
- They're shy at first, but if you sit and wait a few seconds, they'll come out and peek at you before venturing out. I swear they look right at me and wonder what I am. They're personable fish for being so small and shy.
- They don't need a heater. They thrive at room temperature (and not in the same cheating way people say bettas are okay at room temperature), and are known to withstand big temperature drops and rises.
- They have super tiny bioloads.
- My filter has crapped out on them - twice. My shoal of 5 in my 10 gallon did absolutely fine in an unfiltered tank for a month.
- In fact, during this time of no filter, they bred! I saw a fry early one morning swimming in the water. Unfortunately, it must have gotten eaten after I turned on the lights. They breed readily on their own without a dedicated breeding setup.
- Speaking of being hardy fish, I haven't lost a single one of my five since I bought them almost a year ago.
- I made the mistake of putting my previously-peaceful killifish in with them. He ate off half of all their tails. After he was removed, they all grew back their tails within the week and acted as if it never happened.
- They are not picky about water parameters. They'll tolerate soft water, hard water, acidic water, basic water, crystal clear water, stained water - whatever you want!
- They interact with each other in such neat ways. I can (and do) sit at their tank and watch their colorful mating and dominance displays for hours. During this, though, they never injure each other.
- It's uncommon for them to have health issues. Mine have never once had any health issues whatsoever.

Yep. I'm sold on these fish!

Crispii

Well Known Member
Reaction score
One of my all time favorite fish would be honey gouramis! And here are the reasons why I love them.

-Extremely peaceful. I even kept males together with no issues.
-Not prone to iridovirus, like dwarf gouramis.
-Stay at a small size.
-Are a hardy fish for beginners.
-Not a picky eater and will eat anything.
-Can live in a wide range of temperature, from low 70s to low 80s.
-Can be an amazing centerpiece fish.
-Can be kept in a group.
-Not picky about water parameters.

NC122606

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
SM1199 said:
CPDs are my favorite. I think they're really undervalued fish just because they're so small. If they were bigger, I'm sure they would be a lot more popular.

All the reasons I love CPDS:
- I bought mine half-starved and pale brown, and in less than an hour of being in a planted tank they started showing their brilliant colors. Within a week, they were fat and happy.
- Speaking of colors, they have the most gorgeous red/orange fins with black stripes and little gold spots all over their bodies.
- They do not nip fins of their own species or any other species.
- They get along with just about anything that won't eat them. This includes shrimp.
- They're great as their own little group but also can complement a centerpiece fish.
- They shoal, so you get to see amazing group behavior without losing the individuality of the fish. When they're comfy, they go off and explore on their own.
- They can happily live in a 10 gallon on a desk, but will also thrive in a community tank with similar small fish.
- They're shy at first, but if you sit and wait a few seconds, they'll come out and peek at you before venturing out. I swear they look right at me and wonder what I am. They're personable fish for being so small and shy.
- They don't need a heater. They thrive at room temperature (and not in the same cheating way people say bettas are okay at room temperature), and are known to withstand big temperature drops and rises.
- They have super tiny bioloads.
- My filter has crapped out on them - twice. My shoal of 5 in my 10 gallon did absolutely fine in an unfiltered tank for a month.
- In fact, during this time of no filter, they bred! I saw a fry early one morning swimming in the water. Unfortunately, it must have gotten eaten after I turned on the lights. They breed readily on their own without a dedicated breeding setup.
- Speaking of being hardy fish, I haven't lost a single one of my five since I bought them almost a year ago.
- I made the mistake of putting my previously-peaceful killifish in with them. He ate off half of all their tails. After he was removed, they all grew back their tails within the week and acted as if it never happened.
- They are not picky about water parameters. They'll tolerate soft water, hard water, acidic water, basic water, crystal clear water, stained water - whatever you want!
- They interact with each other in such neat ways. I can (and do) sit at their tank and watch their colorful mating and dominance displays for hours. During this, though, they never injure each other.
- It's uncommon for them to have health issues. Mine have never once had any health issues whatsoever.

Yep. I'm sold on these fish!
Oh wow...
You made me really consider them now...

potter

Valued Member
Reaction score
I have a few:

Bettas-too beautiful and somewhat hardy just not very friendly lol.

Dwarf pea puffer- I love dwarf pea puffers so much but they can be territorial and most of them only take live foods. They have LOTS of personalities.

Rosy red minnow-I know I know feeders but once you get them healthy and outdoor, they turn into huge golden pink yellow fishes and they are so easy to keep. I love mine lots.

Lynn78too

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If I could afford them, have space for them, feel competent enough to not kill them, I'd get a discus tank.

Of those my favorites are the checkerboard patterns and red snakeskin.

Nobote

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Green Texas cichlids. (Hericthys cyanoguttatus)
I had one live for 12 years, they are beautiful and have their own personality. They can be hard to manage...mine would occasionally go on a rampage and tear up the aquarium.

Rams. Interesting social behavior, beautiful fish, kind of difficult to keep so If you get a pair to breed its a nice accomplishment.

Endlers livebearers. They are pretty, they are a great nano fish for a smaller aquarium. Endlers are pretty durable and forgiving, they make a good fish to keep in an office aquarium.

Pearl Gouramis. They were the first fish my wife and I kept together. We had a breeding pair that we kept for many years, they were relaxing to watch go about their routine in the aquarium. We must have had fry 20 times which was rewarding to watch.

Crenicichla strigata (pike cichlid) I had one in a 90 gallon that was really personable, very engaging fish. He became a superpredator and had to be kept by himself- but he was unique and had a great disposition.

Lynn78too

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
potter said:
I have a few:

Dwarf pea puffer- I love dwarf pea puffers so much but they can be territorial and most of them only take live foods. They have LOTS of personalities.

Rosy red minnow-I know I know feeders but once you get them healthy and outdoor, they turn into huge golden pink yellow fishes and they are so easy to keep. I love mine lots.
I'm not sure what you consider huge, but rosy reds only get 2-3". Are you sure the person at the store sold you rosy reds? I've had them in an outdoor pond, they're adorable and extremely hardy once they have space to breathe (literally and figuratively).

NC122606

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
potter said:
I have a few:

I wanted 5.5 Gallon for one Betta and another for a Dwarf Pea Puffer.
e_watson09 said:
I have two favorites, bleeding heart tetras are probably my #1. Such a gorgeous fish! I had a huge school of about 30 of them in a heavily planted 150 gallon in the past, they were stunning to watch.

I also really love Panda Cory cats!
Panda Cories!
Lynn78too said:
If I could afford them, have space for them, feel competent enough to not kill them, I'd get a discus tank.

Of those my favorites are the checkerboard patterns and red snakeskin.
Honestly, I would love to have a Discus Tank!
Nobote said:
Green Texas cichlids. (Hericthys cyanoguttatus)
I had one live for 12 years, they are beautiful and have their own personality. They can be hard to manage...mine would occasionally go on a rampage and tear up the aquarium.

Rams. Interesting social behavior, beautiful fish, kind of difficult to keep so If you get a pair to breed its a nice accomplishment.

Endlers livebearers. They are pretty, they are a great nano fish for a smaller aquarium. Endlers are pretty durable and forgiving, they make a good fish to keep in an office aquarium.

Pearl Gouramis. They were the first fish my wife and I kept together. We had a breeding pair that we kept for many years, they were relaxing to watch go about their routine in the aquarium. We must have had fry 20 times which was rewarding to watch.

Crenicichla strigata (pike cichlid) I had one in a 90 gallon that was really personable, very engaging fish. He became a superpredator and had to be kept by himself- but he was unique and had a great disposition.
Pearl Gouramis! Never seen a Pike I will have to check that out!
Lynn78too said:
I'm not sure what you consider huge, but rosy reds only get 2-3". Are you sure the person at the store sold you rosy reds? I've had them in an outdoor pond, they're adorable and extremely hardy once they have space to breathe (literally and figuratively).
Yup, multiple places say 2-3 Inches...

potter

Valued Member
Reaction score
Lynn78too said:
Huge and healthy in comparison with the ones you see at the store lol. They do only get 2"-3" big but once they get to that size and plump up they are really beautiful to look at. Again in comparison to say a mature guppy or WCMM; and of course not compared to say an oscar. I personally love low maintenance and VERY peaceful fish.

NC122606

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Crispii said:
Some of the fish that are in my favorite categories includes:

-Angelfish (any species)
-Festivum (any species)
-Sparkling Gourami
-Kamaka Rainbowfish
-C121 Corydoras
Was considering an Angelfish for my 29 but, too small!

NC122606

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Crispii said:
If only you can Pterophyllum leopoldi...
I know! But they are like impossible to find, maybe I will pick one up if there is one at the fish store I plan going to. Going there to look for Keyholes!

Crispii

Well Known Member
Reaction score
NC122606 said:
I know! But they are like impossible to find, maybe I will pick one up if there is one at the fish store I plan going to. Going there to look for Keyholes!
I got really excited when I saw P. leopoldi at my lfs.

Crispii

Well Known Member
Reaction score
They're surprisingly cheap for a rare fish imo. They were $25, but I got a pair, which is around $50.

CMB

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Well, I think that we've already talked about my favorites. Bolivian Rams and Peacock Gudgeons are up there, I also love Gouramis (I have Honey Gourami, but I think that all gouramis are so much fun!). I think that if I had to choose a favorite fish, it would be the Gudgeons, but they're all rather nice. I like anything with a bit of personality, betta fish will be my next adventure. I hope they're as fun as everyone says they are.
I could list my favorite fish I've seen on the internet (and researched as though I was going to keep but never quite managed to get), but that might be a bit long for this post

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom