What's your favorite Corydoras fish?

Nianichole

What's your favorite Corydoras fish and why? Sell me on your favorite. Why that one over all the others?

Thanks!

Jojo205

I’ve never had cories (or corys?) but in the future I’d love to have pygmy corydoras, they’re so stinking cute! I don’t love the look of cories but the pygmy ones are too cute.

Zach72202

Well my favorite 'Corydoras ' that I have owned isn't really a corydoras at all, but very similar.

I have Aspidoras spilotus, which is in the callichthyidae family, like a cousin to the cory's. I love them because they are extremely active at all times, very outgoing, and love to bury thier heads up to their eyes in the sand all. day. long. Fantastic personality, but rather lacking in looks. Also, really easy to breed too. I own probably 30-40 of them or so, most of which I raised on my own.

As for true corydoras, the best personality I have out of them is either my Albino Corydoras Aeneus, or my Corydoras Schultzei sp. Black. Both are very active and cool, I really enjoy them simply for personality, but the aspidoras are more active. Odd that I picked the black and the white corys lol.

There are plenty of corys I love how they look, but thats quite the list, which I will provide, but they are mostly for thier appearance, some of which I have not kept. Just a short list though I could go longer, but I do want to own all of these at some point. These are some suggestions that you should be able to find, some with more work than others.

C. Bilineatus - San Juan Cory
C. Duplicareus/C. Adolfoi - Looking for healthy group currently
C. Similis - Violet Cory - Looking for healthy group currently
C. Loxozonus
C. Hastadus
C. Pygmaeus - Currently Own
C. Hasbrosus - Currently Own
C. Sterbai - Currently Own
Scleromastax Barbatus - Getting Soon
C. Paleatus - Currently Own
C. Trilineatus
CW010 - Orange Lazer
CW009 - Green Lazer

pagoda

My favourite Cory....even though someone really needs to invent contraception for them sometimes...are Bronze Cory cos they are total clowns and will have you in stitches, even at midnight when they are doing backflips

Coradee

This is such a simple answer........all of them!

Zach72202 said:
Well my favorite 'Corydoras ' that I have owned isn't really a corydoras at all, but very similar.

I have Aspidoras spilotus, which is in the callichthyidae family, like a cousin to the cory's. I love them because they are extremely active at all times, very outgoing, and love to bury thier heads up to their eyes in the sand all. day. long. Fantastic personality, but rather lacking in looks. Also, really easy to breed too. I own probably 30-40 of them or so, most of which I raised on my own.
I keep/kept aspidoras too spilotus &C118, currently I have the gold

770EEDF3-5DA9-4B34-AAB5-DDCB8D8AE829.jpeg

grac3

Jojo205 said:
I’ve never had cories (or corys?) but in the future I’d love to have pygmy corydoras, they’re so stinking cute! I don’t love the look of cories but the pygmy ones are too cute.
i love pygmy corys toooo they're so cutee

Mlou

Oh i
Coradee said:
This is such a simple answer........all of them!

I keep/kept aspidoras too spilotus &C118, currently I have the gold

770EEDF3-5DA9-4B34-AAB5-DDCB8D8AE829.jpeg
Is that a face sticking out of the sand? Lol
My favs of the cories I have....

1) Super Schwartzi
2) Adolphi
3) Green Lasers
4) Sterbais
5) Melinis
6) Similis
7) False Juliis
8) Paleatus
9) Bronze

JettsPapa

jinjerJOSH22

Corydoras atropersonatus/Fairy Corydoras.

I've only kept 3 species, Paleatus and Trilineatus but the schooling behaviour I saw from the Fairies made them more interesting to me.

Oriongal

My all-time favorite are still the schwartzis, even though they are more skittish towards their keepers than many other species (even other wild-caughts.) It's been a very long time ago, but I'm pretty sure the first cory I ever had as a youngster was a schwartz, there weren't so many species on offer in the 70's. I think I recall seeing pandas, aeneus and schwartz back then and that was basically it, I don't recall even seeing peppered then.

Second-favorite is probably the hastatus. Another very social species, and the mid-water hover is very cute.

I really like the melanistius/delphax (still not completely sure which of the two I have) to look at, and also barbatus (Scleromystax). They don't hit me quite the same way the above two do, but they're very attractively-marked fish.

But, like Coradee said - it's all of them, really. They're all awesome. If I could only keep one species of fish it would have to be corys. And even given my own preferences above - if for some reason I had to get rid of all my corys tomorrow (perish the thought...), the last ones I'd keep would actually be the pair of peppered corys I have at work. The male was my first fish when getting back into keeping aquariums again (after way too many years of not having them), and he'd be the last one I'd want to let go of.

Nianichole

Awesome list everyone! There are many on here I haven't heard off. Super cool. Thanks for participating!

Flyfisha

To look at sterbai and adolphi, but if it’s a fun fish that has fry often it’s hard to go past a bronze/ albino.

chromedome52

There is one not mentioned here, I'm somewhat surprised. Unfortunately, I've never had them, but I have always wanted Corydoras robinae, the Flagtail or Bannertail Corydoras. Their markings are quite unique, but it is their shoaling behavior, similar to the Pygmy Cories, that is most fascinating. They are average size (2.5-3 inches) but swim about in a group, and rarely sit on the substrate. Quite difficult to breed, which is why you never see them. I've seen a number of photos where the markings are rather pale, but there are some that show their potential.

Coradee

Not a beauty (in my eyes anyway) but I have to give a special mention for C.fulleri formerly known as C115/6.
Ian Fuller as some of you may know is one of the leading cory experts & has recently been honoured to have a species named after him.

Kribensis27

I really loved my C. rabauti back when I kept them. Also love pygmaeus and black venezuelanus.

carsonsgjs

Another vote for pygmaeus here. Id never kept corys until i got a group of these and i honestly never saw what the attraction was with corys. I completely get it now and id love to keep others if i get the chance.

Oriongal

Coradee said:
Not a beauty (in my eyes anyway) but I have to give a special mention for C.fulleri formerly known as C115/6.
Ian Fuller as some of you may know is one of the leading cory experts & has recently been honoured to have a species named after him.
Corydoras(ln1) fulleri • Callichthyidae • Cat-eLog
I just saw that recently as well, I think it was very appropriate that he got one named for him.

veggieshark

My favorite cory is the one in my avatar

I am generally attracted to the ones with something dark on a white background like Adolfoi or Melini

Other than these, I don't know if it is still a cory, but Barbatus is another one that is distinct.
Can't remember its name, relatively new (on the cover of Baench's Atlas Volume 4), looks interesting.
Edit: Found it, Pantanalensis. But not all species look as colorful as the ones ont he book cover.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom