What's your favorite cichlid? - Page 2

Mii

GlennO said:
I wonder why don't I see more discussion about Humphead Cichlids (Steatocranus casuarius)? I had one many years ago and it was a really cool fish. They are not difficult to keep so I wonder why they are not more popular. They have really interesting looks and behaviour.
I never talked about them because I was unaware that they existed. they are cool though

GlennO

Mii said:
I never talked about them because I was unaware that they existed. they are cool though
Yeah I meant just in general, don't see them mentioned much on the forums.

qldmick

Probably this guy,

PA240026.JPG

Sadly I moved these on.

MONSTER GOBY

GlennO said:
I wonder why don't I see more discussion about Humphead Cichlids (Steatocranus casuarius)? I had one many years ago and it was a really cool fish. They are not difficult to keep so I wonder why they are not more popular. They have really interesting looks and behaviour.
they are one of my favorite african cichlids. This is the last one I had he was normal colored when he was small then his colors started to fade like a red devil. He was a beautiful fish videos don't do him justice. Just sold a couple of his gr kids I got back that were his color a few days ago. These would be closer to the top of my list if they were a bit bigger.

chromedome52

Fascinating! Never saw a Gold Steatocranus before. There's always something new to see!

Mii

MONSTER GOBY said:
they are one of my favorite african cichlids. This is the last one I had he was normal colored when he was small then his colors started to fade like a red devil. He was a beautiful fish videos don't do him justice. Just sold a couple of his gr kids I got back that were his color a few days ago. These would be closer to the top of my list if they were a bit bigger.
that's a nice looking fish

MONSTER GOBY

FinalFins

Leopoldi angelfish are top spot for me. Second is discus, then I have Bolivians and laetacara araguaie next.

Dawn Michele

I LOVE my Oscar Big Boy!!!

julifhy

I never had cichlids nor do I know much about them, but I think flowerhorns and convicts are pretty cool.
My favorites would be shell dwellers. Specifically multis or similis.

Also, I used to think “cichlids” was pronounced: “ch-it-lids” lol. I was so surprised when it’s actually pronounced: “si·kluhds” :confused:

Mii

julifhy said:
I never had cichlids nor do I know much about them, but I think flowerhorns and convicts are pretty cool.
My favorites would be shell dwellers. Specifically multis or similis.

Also, I used to think “cichlids” was pronounced: “ch-it-lids” lol. I was so surprised when it’s actually pronounced: “si·kluhds” :confused:
I'm pretty sure it's "sik-lids" not "si-kluhds"

julifhy

Mii said:
I'm pretty sure it's "sik-lids" not "si-kluhds"
I’m tired, so I just copied what google said lol. I think it’s the same pronunciation still, though? When you look it up, it says “si-kluds” but it sounds like “sik-lids” lol

Lebeeze

This is a really tough question. I am definitely a lover of cichlids, they are so gorgeous and their aggression and personality is one of the things I love most about them. As for favorites that seems to change every week lol right now though its:

Malawi Trout. Right now my male is about 6" and finally starting to show some nice blue. One of the longer Africans, in my experience, to start showing color but when they do its gorgeous. Also there is something about my Trouts personality that makes me laugh everything I watch him, not very aggressive and gets super super excited for feeding time, he splashes me with water almost everyday lol.

Oscar- i have very little experience with Oscar's but I bought my first one in April this year at about 1.5". He is now probably 6" and such a pig when it comes to feeding lol. I'm still trying to understand all his moods, which is another reason I love him. Sometimes I go to the tank and he flips out coming to the surface to greet me, other times he hides behind some pvc pipe I have as "caves".

Honorable mentions

Green terror
Severums
Yellow labs
Angelfish
Venustus

There are just too many lol

QCAquaholic

Apistos! All the personality of a cichlid and can fit comfortably in a 20 gallon

Leeman75

This is almost an impossible question for me to answer! I've only kept Multies from the African side, but have kept a wide variety of SA/CA Cichlids:

Angels, GBRs, BRs, EBAs, Firemouths, Rainbows, Oscars, and of course Keyholes! I LOVE the Keyholes, so if I have to choose 1, it would be them.

I love the personalities and behaviors they have! I am planning very shortly to get Apistos and will probably try my hand with Geophagus species (I like the Tapajos) as well. Eventually some day, I'm sure I'll try Convicts and Jack Dempseys, but not yet.

I do want to branch into Africans someday. Their colors are so bright and vibrant.

My problem is that with few exceptions (Corydora, Honey Gourami, for example), I have a hard time with non-Cichlids now because they're just a little too boring for me.

Vix1987

jmaldo said:
Just 3 years into keeping "Wet Pets", my favorites so far are:
#1- Bolivian Ram

Bolivian Pair 12719.jpg

#2 Electric Blue Acara

EBA Parents.jpg

#3 Discus

Blue Diamond Discus Pair.jpg
Oooo lovely Bolivians look at their colouring

Vix1987

BigBeardDaHuZi said:
How do your terrors and your fusco get along? Those 3 are mighty pretty
Well done being able to keep the red terror with the others I’m impressed they have intact fins ha ha

Kribensis27

Angelfish, kribensis, and apistos.

Siett88

Bolivian Rams are number 1. First cichlid I had as an adult (the family had angelfish as a kid, but I had no idea they were cichlids at the time).
Angels are number 2.
Keyholes number 3. Super underrated fish.

Top Bottom